Audio Video Sync, version 8073 create perfect mp4 rips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Audio Video Sync, version 8073 create perfect mp4 rips

I have been amazed with the results I have ripping using version 8073 to create perfect "general.mp4.h264.aac" files after having so many issues with other versions of 8 and 9. Version 8073 won't necessarily rip to all formats perfectly, but for general.mp4.h264.aac it works near flawlessly. You may get an occasional movie that 8073 won't be able to queue, but that is infrequent.

With other versions of DVDfab, the biggest issue I have had is audio sync problems with the audio and video being off. For some movies the audio would be off by just a split second throughout the film and others would become progressively further off toward the end of the movie (up to 1 second). These movies that I had issues with rip perfectly well with 8073 with general.mp4.h264.aac. This format works well for me because I watch movies on different devices and don't want to have to rip more than once per movie. I find mp4's play on everything. I concede that MKV is a more robust container, however, I do not use it too often because they are not supported on all of my devices.

Further, I don't use blue rays, just DVDs, as I don't like large file sizes over 3GB. I always save the main movie to my hard drive as an iso using the most recent version of DVDfab. Then I rip directly to my hard drive using version 8073. I never mess with frame resolution. I make sure the A/V codecs are all set to "software" and lightening-recording is enabled. I normally use forced subtitles only, Dolby Prologic II at 192 kbps, audio volume at 150%, 1-pass, fixed bitrate around 2,000 kbps (or whatever will get me at least 0.30 bits/pixel). However, for fast moving action films I will bump up the fixed bitrate to get in the range of 0.36 to 0.40 bits/pixel. My average file size per movie is 1.7 GB (give or take up to approx 1 GB). Using these guidelines I find my video and audio quality is great on both portables and my 47 inch TV using an Argosy media player.

I suspect that different users will have different results depending on your type of computer hardware, operating system, and playback devices. I believe these factors impact how well any particular version of DVDfab will work for any particular user. For me and the system I am using with DVDfab, 8073 produces absolutely perfect general mp4.h264.aac rips for all my movies that will play on all of my devices including my Argosy media player. However, for example, I have found 8073 will not always produce perfect general MKV.h264.audiocopy rips that will play all my movies on all of my devices -- for example I will get some movies that will play fine in this format, but others will cause my Argosy to shut down and reboot. Someone else may have different results depending on their system, hardware and devices.

For your reference, my system information is listed below. I'm posting it not to be criticized for having an outdated system, but simply to help those out there with similar systems to create absolutely perfect general mp4.h264.aac rips for all their movies.

OS name: Vista Home Premium
    Sys type: x64-based PC
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80 GHz, 2 Cores, 2 logical processors
    RAM: 4GB
    Graphics: NVIDA GeForce 9300M GS, 256 MB RAM

Now having posted this, it may be useful to others to know what your system information is and what version of DVDfab you found to consistently create perfect rips in other formats, such as MKV.h264.audiocopy, which I have not had the best luck with.

From what I have read on this forum I think a lot of people including me are having audio sync problems. I like version 9, now if DvDFab would just fix that audio sync problem.

Comment

I agree... I like version 9 as well. However, in the meantime, having a good workaround to making rips successful is good to know.

Comment

v8073 had a special fix for making MP4s from the BD of TinTin which had a sync problem otherwise. While it was a fix for this movie it caused sync problems for other titles, so it could not be left in permantly. I keep a copy of it installed as do many other users. It will work for titles that are authored in a similar way.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks Signals, that's interesting about the special fix in v8073 for making MP4s; it certainly did the trick for me. To put it into numbers, I have 233 movies in my library and successfully converted 228 using v8073. The other 5 that I could not get v8073 to open the source file, I used a combination of v8085, 9047, 9050 and 9051. However, I my rate of success with these other versions is not very good. I wonder if the audio sync issues I have with other versions is manifested in the type of computer system and hardware I use? I imagine your computer system and hardware are pretty robust?

In any case, when I use different versions of DVDfab, I try to stay consistent. I rip directly to my hard drive and keep the frame resolution the same as the source (or as close as possible). I make sure the A/V codecs are all set to "software" and lightening-recording is enabled. I normally use forced subtitles only, Dolby Prologic II at 192 kbps, audio volume at 150%, 1-pass, fixed bitrate around 2,000 kbps (or whatever will get me at least 0.30 bits/pixel). For fast moving action films I bump the fixed bitrate up to get in the range of 0.36 to 0.40 bits/pixel.

Comment

On the problem discs, you might also try using the original disc as the Source for Ripper instead of making a HDD folder first.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

All is good. I was able to get the problem discs to work by copying them again to my HDD as iso's. They still would not queue up in 8073, but they do in later versions of fab.

Comment

Is 8073 still available? The earliest version I have is 8085. I tried using your suggestions and still had issues. I also tried changing the fps from 29.97 (which is what it came up with automatically) to 25 which fixed the sync problem but then the picture became very jittery.

Comment

They worked on 9070 to be better on sync problems so try ripper in version 9070 a updated version is now up of it.
                  Also try turning lightning recording off on any problem disk as any kind of speed up program can cause problems.

Comment

Working...
                  X