This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deinterlace Mode

I'm having a problem with deinterlacing and I hope someone can help. I'm trying to convert to xvid avi or wmv (both show the same behavior). The issue is that on some animations or cartoons (Dr. Katz, Dilbert, thx intro from nemo) the picture breaks up along horizontal lines when there is any motion if I convert with deinterlacing off. When I turn deinterlacing on and convert, the line artifacts go away, but there are significant jagged edges. I've been using the THX sample from the beginning of Nemo as my test case since it is very short and displays the issue clearly. You can see the jaggies on the robot's shirt line and on the cow box. (I had used this to test the sound as well for the 5.1 wmv issue which Ting has fixed --thanks!)

The problem *seems* to be with the particular deinterlacing mode used. As a test, I played the Non-di converted video with VLC and used different DI modes to see what worked. Some worked perfectly while some produced the jaggies.

I searched the forums here and found a thread that I thought would help:

indicates that this:

"...deinterlace mode="1" method="0" to force deinterlace with method 0.
    (blend, bob, weave/0,1,2 ?? )..."

can be used in a profile to select some "unsupported" DI modes.

and later in the same thread the author appears to have had success with this:

"...5. Insert a new line between the <video> line and the <size list="" /> line.
    6. In the new line, insert the following text:
    <deinterlace mode="1" method="1"/>..."

So I created a profile per the instructions and tried several different DI modes (1,2,3) but I keep getting the same result (including the exact same file size). So I'm wondering if this deinterlace mode feature has been removed (if so, can we bring it back?) or if the UI is not honoring that profile line any longer?

I should note that I've converted this clip with other software and it looks fine (no jaggies, no horizontal lines) so I really do think it's just a DI algorithm issue. Also, I've tried various (high) resolutions and bitrates and 1 and 2 pass with all basically the same results. Thanks in advance for any insights and sorry about the long-winded post.

I getting this quite a lot too.

I'm trying to convert Star Trek: The Next Gen boxsets and it's very noticable (Looks like a painting that's had a comb moved across it). I first noticed it with "Crash". So far, I have been unable to resolve it either.

Currently.

DVDFab 6.1.2.5
    Pentium D 925 (3.0GHz)
    4GB
    Win 7 Ult (64bit)

Comment

Any word

Any word on this issue? I've left it over a week and no response. I see another user has this issue and also a separate thread has been created about jagged lines in a cartoon here: http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=2541

Looking forward to hearing something. Thanks.

Comment

Some pictures

Just thought I'd check in to see if this has been addressed. Here are some examples from the THX trailer (note that I have seen this same behavior on other "TV cartoons" on DVD as well (Dilbert, Dr. Katz). I've tried converting to xvid avi and WMV with the same results. I've also tried several different resolutions and bit rates (the same issue occurs both with high resolutions and bit rates).

The attachments are cropped to a selection that shows the issue.

1) UploadDVDFabsec_CroppedDI.jpg
        This is what it looks like with Deinterlacing turned on. Jaggy. This doesn't change (nor does the file size change) regardless of deinterlacing mode chosen in the custom profile.

2) UploadDVDFabsec_CroppedNoDI.jpg
        This is what it looks like with Deinterlacing turned off. No longer jaggy, but highly visible horizontal line motion artifacts.

3) UploadAgk4sec_cropped.jpg
        This is from another conversion program that doesn't have either issue.

Please advise. Thanks.
        Attached Files

Comment

We will provide more (better) deinterlace mothods in new version, please wait.
          DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
          http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

Comment

There are other ways to control deinterlace in the current versions that you can try in the meantime.
              1) Put a check in the "Deinterlacing" box on the edit page
              2) Using Notepad, add the following line to whatever profile you are using:

<deinterlace mode="1" method="(0,1,2 or 3)"/>

Put it in the <video> section, just below the "size list=" line and it may work OK elsewhere. This will force deinterlacing; the "method" value is not documented but does make a difference with at least some of the codecs. The numeric values probably translate to different techniques (blend, bob, weave etc.) but no idea which is which. This worked for another user.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                There are other ways to control deinterlace in the current versions that you can try in the meantime.
                1) Put a check in the "Deinterlacing" box on the edit page
                2) Using Notepad, add the following line to whatever profile you are using:

<deinterlace mode="1" method="(0,1,2 or 3)"/>

Put it in the <video> section, just below the "size list=" line and it may work OK elsewhere. This will force deinterlacing; the "method" value is not documented but does make a difference with at least some of the codecs. The numeric values probably translate to different techniques (blend, bob, weave etc.) but no idea which is which. This worked for another user.
                Thanks for the suggestion, I had hoped this would work. This is actually what I tried prior to posting and it doesn't seem to work for me. I've tried it with WMV and XVID and get the same result (incl the same file size) for each method I try.

Comment

Working...
                X