Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Music DVDs, Rippng Speific Chapters, is there a better way?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music DVDs, Rippng Speific Chapters, is there a better way?

I have used DVDFab to rip many movies to my hard drive using the DVD to DVD option, sometimes just the main movie...sometimes the entire disc. I am now getting ready to rip my music DVDs, first I plan on using DVD to DVD to rip the entire disc to preserve menu function. I would then like to rip some specific chapters from each DVD as a chapter in a music DVD is generally a single song, I would keep these files in a best of or favorites folder on my computer so that I could play several artists and songs in a series. I will be playing files using a Popcorn Hour which plays about any type of file. I have more hard drive space than time so I would prefer a method that doesn't envolve conversion.

I have figured out how to use the Start TIme/End function to select just one chapter but would like to know if I can select multiple chapters in one pass rather than having to do this multiple times...for instance now I can select chapter 7 to 7 and transfer just that chapter but can I select 5 to 5, 7 to 7, and 10 to 10 and transer all three files at once? I haven't figured out a way to do this.

Also what file type would be the best to output? I have tried VOB as it is very quick and seems to be a transfer rather than a convertion. It plays on my PCH but when asking about this in the PCH forum I got the following reply

"NO No NO ... NEVER keep just the VOB file ...
    Many companies use the skip feature that allows them to move over junk parts of vob files (for poor mans copy protection) ... with out the video_ts.ifo to tell the player what to skip the videos might not play ...

This type of vob structure is used a lot by Sony and Disney DVDs..."

Does DVDFab account for this? Is there a better file type to output to that doesn't involve a convertion? Is there a better way to acomplish what I am trying to do?

Mike

Unless each chapter is a separate title I don’t think so, at least not with Fab.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Anyone have an answer to this:

Also what file type would be the best to output? I have tried VOB as it is very quick and seems to be a transfer rather than a convertion. It plays on my PCH but when asking about this in the PCH forum I got the following reply

"NO No NO ... NEVER keep just the VOB file ...
      Many companies use the skip feature that allows them to move over junk parts of vob files (for poor mans copy protection) ... with out the video_ts.ifo to tell the player what to skip the videos might not play ...

This type of vob structure is used a lot by Sony and Disney DVDs..."

Does DVDFab account for this? Is there a better file type to output to that doesn't involve a convertion? Is there a better way to acomplish what I am trying to do?

Comment

I think DVDFab will remove this in most cases. You can rip multiple chapters or groups of chapters from the same DVD and even multiple DVDs at once using Merge mode. This is a very fast process, especially if you have the discs already converted to VIDEO_TS folders. Each group of chapters will be a separate Title. You can then convert these Titles with VOB Passthrough.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

The only problem you will have with VOB Passthrough when played by the PCH is that FF/RW is essentially useless on most titles. This has to do with the way DVDs are often authored and there is no easy fix. However, the 0-9 keys for percentage jumps usually work. Since you are trying to rip individual songs, the FF/RW issue may not be a problem for you.

If you want to preserve the FF/RW and subtitles then you can also use DVD to DVD Main Movie mode to create a separate directory or ISO for each of the songs you are trying to rip. Unfortunately there is no queue for DVD to DVD. However, since you already have ripped the DVDs to the hard drive then you can simply use them as the source for DVDFab and start multiple instances of DVDFab to maximize your time utilization.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
            The only problem you will have with VOB Passthrough when played by the PCH is that FF/RW is essentially useless on most titles. This has to do with the way DVDs are often authored and there is no easy fix. However, the 0-9 keys for percentage jumps usually work. Since you are trying to rip individual songs, the FF/RW issue may not be a problem for you.

If you want to preserve the FF/RW and subtitles then you can also use DVD to DVD Main Movie mode to create a separate directory or ISO for each of the songs you are trying to rip. Unfortunately there is no queue for DVD to DVD. However, since you already have ripped the DVDs to the hard drive then you can simply use them as the source for DVDFab and start multiple instances of DVDFab to maximize your time utilization.
            Thanks for the reply, like you said I am working with single music tracks that may be 3 or 4 minutes in length...I don't see that there would be a need to FF or FR. Is there a better way than what I am considering? My thought is that by extracting to a VOB I am keeping the video in the most pure form and in the future if I decided I wanted to do something else it would be much easier to do a batch conversion on 100 single files rather than going back to Fab and extracting each one again.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by blackcows View Post
              Thanks for the reply, like you said I am working with single music tracks that may be 3 or 4 minutes in length...I don't see that there would be a need to FF or FR. Is there a better way than what I am considering? My thought is that by extracting to a VOB I am keeping the video in the most pure form and in the future if I decided I wanted to do something else it would be much easier to do a batch conversion on 100 single files rather than going back to Fab and extracting each one again.

Mike
              That is what I would do.

Comment

Thanks for all of you help.

Comment

Complication and I will always seem to disagree here but I regard VOB passthrough as rather pase.

what I would use is a H264 profile and utilising "Split by Chapter". This works well for me with the muliple devices that I use.
                  "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

blackcows ---

If your music dvds songs are each just 1 chapter than the split by chapter works. If they are like many music dvds with 1 title and maybe 2 chapters then this is where you have to extract just those 2 chapters and convert. The fastest way right now is the queue via the gui. I have personally requested via the commandline structure the ability to specify chapters. If its implemented then this could be accomplished via commandline and would be automatic. One other memeber has agrreed and has asked for the same thing. This would be in the FEATURE REQUEST section.

The coders of this program seem to be very responsive to requests so keeps your fingers crossed

Comment

Working...
                    X