X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cropping / Resizing issues

Version 6.2.1.8

The cropping/resize issue.

1) when using autocrop it doesn't put the green rectangle in the middle of the video, leaves the top with FULL Black bars and the bottom with half so the video is not centered.

2) I am also getting stretched video.

Please don't bash me on this one.. but for example.

If I use autogk I can set my width to 640 and it will automatically crop the video height on each side. I tested this with a video and it set it at 640x304.
    I tried this same source with DVDFab and couldn't get the same results. I cropped the video fully and tried even manually entering 640*304 and the result was stretched video with black bars on top and bottom even though i put the green rectangle just surrounding the video. I tried checking maintain aspect, I tried messing with pan&scan/letterbox, etc.

I REALLY like the idea on DVDfab to be able to set a bitrate versus autogk you just set a size or percentage. I have a dvd player in the car that plays XVID/DIVX and a hard drive, but the max you can put through a USB 2.0 is 3000kbps and thats if you want it to show, the max I have been able to maintain without skipping or studdering is a file that is 2200 kbps, but to be on the safe side i was going to set this at 2000kbps. That works great with DVDfab, tested files were ~1980 so that is AWESOME....

I just can't get the crop just right with DVDFAB and automatic is definitly not centering or cropping. I Believe this is also due to the PICTURE that you are shown. The slider uses the whole video source/title and jumps in large increments. With a music dvd each video has a different AR and when selecting the chapter.

I tried ripping just that chapter to a vob and using the FILE to mobile option. This one set the green bars correctly, but still the video cropping wasn't done properly. I had to set and add multiple height options to get it to fill the space needed down to 640*256 so in the output the video would cover the space, but when encoding it, the results were just a very thin video with bars on top and bottom again.

any assistance would be helpful

OK, for a start, what profile are you using? generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy ?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

generic.avi.xvid.mp3

Video is the issue not audio.

Comment

gregiboy i can't pm you a link to a crude, but effect way to show you what is happening, so if possible can you email me and i can give you a link...

Comment

Post the link/image here so we can all see it.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

well I didn't want to post the link, I did a video of what I was trying to do while trying to explain it. If possible i only wanted to give you the link and or another moderater/coder so they can see what i was talking about and maybe explain it better...

Comment

Ok... here is the example.

Main Source (4:3) 720x480 DVD vob.

When I open up AutoGK and select this as the input file and then in advanced settings It just allows me to adjust the width and it AUTOmatically crops the file and adjusts the height to where it should be to maintain aspect ration.

I tried to duplicate this with DVDfab and have not been able too. If I use the AUTOmatic crop on the WHOLE title (FULL DVD) the green bars in the crop section are off center and do not crop well. The reason I believe is because DVDFab doesn't show you the actual video your trying to crop. So I tried to move the slider at the bottom to find the video section (chapter section) I was trying to crop BUT the slider moves in LARGE increments only and I was unsuccessfull. Also DVDfab wants to make the video file 624x256. I customized it to the exact same dimensions as AUTOGK did = 640x272. I like the customization options, but it would be nice if DVDfab would allow you to just set the width and Autocrop the video like Autogk to maintain ratio.

Since DVDfab didn't allow me to see the actual video section I was editing (but it did show me it in the preview window before editing) I took the original VOB file and tried the FILE to Mobile option. First thing I noticed is that it wanted to set the size to 418 or 4**x 2** and didn't even start at 624 like on the DVD to Mobile option. So I proceeded to try to crop it. Opening up the crop window the green rectangle DID crop it right on the money to edges of the video BUT the output window was all messed up and there was still black edges and all. So I adjusted all the settings and tried to resize it and pretty much messed with everything and this was the BEST I could do.

Not sure if its me or something I am doing wrong, but Hopefully someone can assist me with this. If the options are not there then maybe a feature request might be available.....

Again thanks for all the help..

Comment

You must put a checkmark in the "Keep Aspect Ratio" box on the crop tab in Video Effects. DVDFab centers the crop when set to Automatic cropping, but does not automatically re-center it if you set it to Customize crop or move any of the edge handles. This gives the user more control over the output image and the portion of the source image from which it is taken, i.e. you may not always want a center-cut crop and DVDFab allows for this. A "Keep Centered" checkbox might be a good feature request.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I have tried that option.. if possible.. can you try to see if you can get the same results.

hXXp://hotfile.com/dl/23177055/3dcfafe/Test.vob.html

width 640, autogk finds the height as 272= 640 *272

Profile generic.xvid.mp3 * stereo * 128kbps

anyone with success please let me know..

Comment

I am also having this problem of the auto crop leaving black bars at the top and bottom of the picture. I'm not as tech savy as videonoob so if anyone has a simple solution or steps that would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by VideoNoob View Post
                      I have tried that option.. if possible.. can you try to see if you can get the same results.

hXXp://hotfile.com/dl/23177055/3dcfafe/Test.vob.html

width 640, autogk finds the height as 272= 640 *272

Profile generic.xvid.mp3 * stereo * 128kbps

anyone with success please let me know..
                      @VideoNoob I will try it and report back to you.
                      @packfan I'm not sure your problem is exactly the same, please start a new thread titled "black bars" or something like that in the DVD to Mobile forum.
                      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks signals I appreciate the help...

I hope your having more success than me. Like I said it may have to bee feature request in another update....

Comment

tried again for S&G (shits and giggles) and still have had no success...

Comment

Is the file a VOB that was just decrypted and then lifted out of a VIDEO_TS folder or was it run through VOB Passthrough?

Comment

Hey VideoNoob,

For my own use, I have found that DVDFab is great at handling resizing and cropping issues, and also one of the fastest converters out there. However I normally define the overall screen size/resolution, and thereby also the aspect ratio, before doing anything else. Only then can you decide on how to handle the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. (Did you mention what size the coversion was supposed to be?)

The numbers don't add up...
                              Throughout your thread, you've listed a number of different conversion attempts and resizes. You should note that not all of the dimensions are proportional to the original source file, and this may be what's throwing you off!

You wrote: "Main Source (4:3) 720x480 DVD vob". This is not 100% right-on. 4:3 aspect ratio is 1.33 (First number divided by the seconded, i.e. 4 divided by 3 = 1.333333333.) If the Video size is indeed 720x480, its aspect ratio would then be 1.5 (not 1.33 / 4:3).

What's the objective of the video crop?
                              If you are looking to fill the screen from top-to-bottem, side-to-side, without any black bars, you're going to have to crop that "super-widescren" image way down to the proportaional size of your playback monitor. (I did the same with the super anamorphic presentation used in the film The Matrix, cutting it down to 4:3 format at 320x240 screen resolution.) Again, try defining the screen size first, then do your cropping!

You may also want to note that the "super-wide-but-really-short" image perspective is no doubt intentional and part of the artistic presentation of that clip. Hey, if they wanted the image to fit a regular old 4:3 TV set, they would have done it!

Hope this may help,

Organdude
                              Last edited by Organdude; 01-07-2010, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X