mp4 resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper mp4 resolution

I really like the looks of the mp4's made with this ripper.

Looks nice.

When I stream content it fills the screen. The DVD's and mp4's made from them have a black bar top and bottom.

Is there a way to get full screen like streaming?

Is mp4 a good choice for my video library?

Thanks

Not sure if I understand what you are seeing. When a player plays content differently depending on the source it is often a player setting.

MP4 would be a first choice if you have Apple devices or players that don't handle MKVs well. I use MP4 because of all the iPhones and iPads around here, and it may be more of a universally playable format than the more versatile MKV.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Probably not

Originally posted by tacman7 View Post
      I really like the looks of the mp4's made with this ripper.

Looks nice.

When I stream content it fills the screen. The DVD's and mp4's made from them have a black bar top and bottom.

Is there a way to get full screen like streaming?

Is mp4 a good choice for my video library?

Thanks
      I presume you are comparing streaming of mostly TV content from something like iTunes with MP4s created by ripping BLuRay and DVD movies. The vast majority of TV content (both streamed and on BL/DVD) is recorded with a 16x9 or 1.78 aspect ratio so it fills the screen. Films are often shot in wider aspect ratios such as 2.35 so that a 1920 wide film would only be ~820 pixels high, not the 1080 pixels needed to fill your TV screen. The only ways to get such content to fill a 16x9 display other than leaving black bars at the top and bottom (usually referred to as letterboxing) are:

1. Distort the vertical height of the image which will look absolutely horrible

2. Crop the left/right hand edges of the video so that what's left of the video has a 1.78 aspect ratio (that would mean cropping that 1920x820 movie to 1460x820 and then scaling it back up to 1920x1080) That won't look good either.

Comment

I guess DVD's are 720 x 480

The height of the mp4 is 312 or 368

720 x 312 - 1 gig
        856 x 368 - 1.5 gig

I'm wanting to watch it on a 2014 LG 42" smart tv.

I guess I thought dvd was more quality than the streaming.

Never heard of MKV...

All my machines are windows.

If I wanted to back up my dvd, what would be the best choice?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tacman7 View Post
          I guess DVD's are 720 x 480

The height of the mp4 is 312 or 368

720 x 312 - 1 gig
          856 x 368 - 1.5 gig

I'm wanting to watch it on a 2014 LG 42" smart tv.

I guess I thought dvd was more quality than the streaming.

Never heard of MKV...

All my machines are windows.

If I wanted to back up my dvd, what would be the best choice?

Thanks
          There maybe some confusion going on here. When you say the height of the MP is 312, are you referring to a movie you've ripped from DVD, or something you are getting via a streaming service? The aspect ratio of the two sizes you give are both 2.3:1 which suggest these are rips of movies. In which case it would probably help if you posted the log files so that we can see how you are setting up the rip. That said, for a DVD movie rip they sound like reasonable numbers. Quality is determined partly by frame size (i.e. height x width of the image) and partly by bit rate. For my DVD rips I use a bit rate of around 2000 which yields file sizes around 2GB for a typical movie, with quality that is indistinguishable from the source DVD on my 60" display.

The difference you are seeing between streaming and DVD quality is probably because you are streaming HD content, DVDs are not HD quality, you need Bluray for that.

Comment

I was just looking at the numbers the ripper offered me as choices.

OK Thanks

I just didn't want to be encoding to a dvd screen if I could have the full screen.

If the pixel ain't there they ain't there.

Seems like a good purchase, I have the copy part of the program, have to get the ripper, does make a quality output without any fuss so far.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X