No announcement yet.

How to disable auto-crop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) How to disable auto-crop?

I am no longer able to find auto-crop option in settings. I can change crop setting from "Auto" to "original" by editing each movie, but I can't find the global setting where I can disable the auto-crop by default (currently it's enabled by default). I seem to recall that it was in the conversion setting in previous versions. Thanks.

This global disable for this feature was removed, I think because it basically just kept the black bars which wastes video bits when encoding. Anyone that wants this feature back needs to post in this thread and please give an explanation of why it is important to your workflow in Ripper or Converter. For instance, it was sometimes useful to me with poorly or incorrectly authored DVDs.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

In most of the time I like to keep the original aspect and resolution without the crop so that it's one to one conversion without any risk of losing any details, and I don't need to verify if the "auto-crop" crops the video properly. There is a good reason that it's an option in the past, without any compliant I don't understand why it's removed. Please add this option back. Thanks.

Comment

One comment I like to add is that auto-crop is also a good feature and I do have dvdfab cropped videoing in certain cases. For example, if a video is 16:9 but it's authored in 4:3 resolution, I may like to have dvdfab cropped out the black area, provided that the subtitle isn't displayed in the black bar area. But if the subtitle is within the bottom black bar, then cropping the video would lose the subtitle. I hope it helps clarifying why I like to keep this as a global option so that I don't have to set the crop setting for each video I rip, and only need to set those that I like to crop. Thanks.

Comment

A good point.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by coolala View Post
            One comment I like to add is that auto-crop is also a good feature and I do have dvdfab cropped videoing in certain cases. For example, if a video is 16:9 but it's authored in 4:3 resolution, I may like to have dvdfab cropped out the black area, provided that the subtitle isn't displayed in the black bar area. But if the subtitle is within the bottom black bar, then cropping the video would lose the subtitle. I hope it helps clarifying why I like to keep this as a global option so that I don't have to set the crop setting for each video I rip, and only need to set those that I like to crop. Thanks.
            Hi,
            coolala
            We remove the auto-crop setting because DVDFab automatically crops black area (which is unnecessary when watching videos) without losing active image.
            But you mentioned the case of subtitles in the black edge, only videos may happen, so have you encountered such a situation in your latest conversion tasks? If it occurs often, we will consider to bring the option back.

Comment

This seems to me that it's supposed to be very simple. I'd like it available as an OPTION which was the case in the past, and now I would have to prove it useful in order to possibly request it. It makes no sense to me. If this is useless, then it wouldn't be an option for many versions without a compliant. I see your point that the black area may not be necessary and that's true for some people and I wouldn't disagree, but it may not be in favor for all. That's why it would be nice that it's an option to enable or disable it by default so that people can choose their preference. Thanks.

Comment

Perhaps I would like to add another scenario I may like to keep the black area. My monitor is 16:9 in ratio. A DVD or Bluray is 16:9 in ratio. A movie in DVD or Bluray may be in 21:9 ratio. For the current version ripping it into MP4, it will become 21:9 (because of auto-crop) and the subtitle would be displayed inside the movie area. If I have dvdfab ripped the DVD or Bluray into original 16:9 resolution (without auto-crop by default), then the subtitle may be displayed in the bottom black area which doesn't block the details inside the movie. Again it's only one of the example to support this (enable / disable auto-crop setting). Also, let me clarify this again, I am not asking to remove auto-crop feature, I like the auto-crop and I use it some times, I'm only asking to leave it as an global option so that I can enable to disable it be default. Thanks.

Comment

I too old like the crop option brought back. I prefer to keep my videos at 1080p. Sometimes subtitles and stuff end up in the black region. We can flip the setting manually, but I don't see the harm in leaving the global configuration option around for those that would like it. Would it be possible to bring that back?

Comment

I also noticed that the subtitle would typically be at the bottom of the mp4 video if it's ripped by DVDFab. This is actually very nice and I can take advantage of the black area if the original movie isn't 16:9.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                      This global disable for this feature was removed, I think because it basically just kept the black bars which wastes video bits when encoding. Anyone that wants this feature back needs to post in this thread and please give an explanation of why it is important to your workflow in Ripper or Converter. For instance, it was sometimes useful to me with poorly or incorrectly authored DVDs.
                      Why on earth would you remove a perfectly fine option?

Seriously, this just broke anamorphic 3D movies for me.

Why? Because for some reason, 3D anamorphic movies get stretched to full screen size, making everyone look like an egghead.

And no, you can't adjust the screen aspect ratio for such movies on Samsung TVs

Comment

Originally posted by coolala View Post
                        I also noticed that the subtitle would typically be at the bottom of the mp4 video if it's ripped by DVDFab. This is actually very nice and I can take advantage of the black area if the original movie isn't 16:9.
                        Same. I've encountered a number of movies in the last week where the subtitles render in the black area on the bottom.

Comment

I have been losing lots of subtitles lately when playing my BluRay rip to .mkv on my Xtreamer media player (sub titles exported as seperate files). It used to work fine and interestingly if I play the DVD output on my PC with VLC, VLC reads the subtitle files and displays fine.
                          An example is 'The Monuments Men'.
                          I assume this has been due to the changes in cropping?
                          Eitherway, I sometimes get around this by finding the forced subtitles (those with just the foreign subs and without the English subs included), then encoding them into the actual video output. Then it plays fine on my Xtreamer media player. I have an older firmware media player and it doesn't support the subs remuxed into the file.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Jiangrui View Post
                          Hi,
                          coolala
                          We remove the auto-crop setting because DVDFab automatically crops black area (which is unnecessary when watching videos) without losing active image.
                          But you mentioned the case of subtitles in the black edge, only videos may happen, so have you encountered such a situation in your latest conversion tasks? If it occurs often, we will consider to bring the option back.

Comment

Hi, everyone
                            We have received your feedback, we are trying to find all the situations in which it is intensively necessary to disable auto-crop. Then we will provide better method to deal with these situations, but before that you guys have to disable auto-crop in 'Edit' manually. Thanks for your understanding!

Comment

Still don't understand why an option that was working correctly, could be left on if you wanted automatic cropping, would be removed.

Comment

Working...
                              X