Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) H.265 cuda nvenc?

Hello,

This is my first post so apologies if it is not in the right place and if it has already been answered.

I am ripping blurays with ease, about 25-45min depending on what i am doing at the time and load on the pc. I have a GTX 670, core i5-2500k, 16gb of ram. So plenty of firepower. Then I noticed an article about h.265 and how it could save me about 25-50% space by converting my library to h.265 vs h.264. So i tried it: took 13.5 hours to rip a bluray at a mindnumbingly slow pace of about 1-2 frame per second. I was shocked.

So what can be done to speed things up? I read that NVidia stopped supporting NVCUVID or whatever the abbreviation was and started supporting only the NVENC which is the future. Well, glad you folks sorted this out quickly (i had a spell of time when i was not near a computer at all so I missed that "wtf moment"). My GTX is using the latest drivers as of this writing, so is the CPU. I tried software, CUDA, Intel QuickSync using LucidLogix's MVP 2.0 so i could switch between discrete and iGPU (got hdmi switcher so no problem there). Nothing worked. It seems DVDFab is stuck in software mode.

Is it not supported yet, plans for support etc? I mean i do not plan on buying a Xeon CPU so i could speed up the process.

Thanks to all that would reply.

Thanks

What you are seeing here is the difference between the CPU doing the encoding on its own and the CPU working in conjunction with the GPU. For h264, modern GPUs do most of the heavy lifting because they have the h264 codec implemented in hardware on the GPU. This is not the case for h265 which is a much more recent encoding scheme. Until the GPUs start offering support for h265, this performance gap isn't going to change, and buying a marginally faster Xeon CPU will make little difference. So, in short, unless you have the patience of a saint, stick with h264 until the GPUs start supporting h265.

Note, if you did encode in h265 you would almost certainly have playback problems on many devices because the decode would have to be handled by the CPU (assuming there was even support in the software for h265) without any help from the GPU, and the CPU may not be fast enough to do the job, or at best the battery life in mobile devices would take a massive hit.

Comment

Nik is correct, the benefits of reduced size come at a price.

Title: NOAH
      h264: 4853MB 50fps ~1 hour
      h265: 2492MD 7-10fps ~7+ hours (this will improve in the future)
      This is with a 2nd gen i7 and the h264 set for software decode, CUDA encode.

Storage space is cheap, time is money.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hello Signals,
        I make sam tests with my new Nvidia GTX 950 with Hardware HEVC Encoding.
        I test with the Film Noah too:
        Hardware equipment: Intel i7 4770 with Nvidia GTX 950, and I need 16 min. 51 sec. for Converting the Film with 2 audio stream ac3 und 2 text stream.
        The mediainfo output:
        Format : HEVC
        Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
        Format profile : Main@L5.2@Main
        Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
        Duration : 2h 17mn
        Bit rate : 2 679 Kbps
        Width : 1 920 pixels
        Height : 1 036 pixels
        Display aspect ratio : 1.85:1
        Frame rate mode : Constant
        Frame rate : 23.976 fps
        Color space : YUV
        Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
        Bit depth : 8 bits
        Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.056
        Stream size : 2.58 GiB (73%)
        Writing library : Lavc57.15.100 nvenc_hevc

For playing on my Television, I take a Beelink i68 with hardwaredecoding for H.265 (Rockship RK3368 procesor with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 - is compatible to Television with HDMI 1.x)

Now I waiting for DVDFab http://forum.dvdfab.cn/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Comment

Thanks Axe 9. We still need some volunteers with 970 or 980 cards. Please PM me.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I installed the new 9.2.2.1 beta with my 970 card and the H.265 encoding in hardware is impressive. Here's the results when ripping a 1 hr 58 min movie.

H.265 @ 20mb/s

Rip Time 10:12 min
            Max FPS 277
            Size 18.1GB
            CPU 14-20%

H.264 @ 20mb/s

Rip Time 7:08 min
            Max FPS 393
            Size 16.2 GB
            CPU 18-24%

When trying the same H.265 test with software only the FPS rate was around 5 and the projected rip time was 9+ hrs. So with the 970 hardware it was 54x faster. I did try 4K H.265 but CUDA isn't working and it reverts to software only.
            Last edited by jbinkley60; 12-22-2015, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback jb, it is a great improvement.

Comment

Working...
              X