Highest Definition Ripping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Highest Definition Ripping

I just got a mini projector to play my movies on the wall. Normally before I used to rip the movies as an iPhone/Ipod format to play on them and on my computer. But when I try to play them thru the projector they look just a little choppy, not bad, but maybe I should rip them differently? What is the highest definition I can rip them as? The Apple TV? iPad? What settings will give me the best quality for projection.

The HIGHEST resolution you can Rip at is the native resolution of your source material. That will cover anything you've got. (it's pointless coding at 1024X576 if your source is only 704x396 - your tv will do just as good a job at upscaling)

But ...
    You may get away with ripping at the highest resolution your 'device' will display.
    The only caveats in all this are :-
    a) do you have any storage limitations ?
    b) do you have gigabit Ethernet (or other V Fast connection) to transfer these files ?

I often record at a lower resolution as I can't run Cabled Ethernet from my NAS so have to rely on AC WiFi which is limited by the distance and obstructions

Mutt
    Mutt ... All-In-One Lifetime Member

Comment

You must have a playback device attached to the projector, we need to know that that device is, as it will affect the format and the resolution that makes most sense.

Comment

Many "pico projectors" have players built-in, but Nik is correct that we need to know more details about the device you are using to be able to provide meaningful assistance.

To amplify on what Mutt said, attempting to upscale content during the encode process generally only makes the files larger and thus harder to encode, transport and play. Let the player handle it, most can do it on the fly pretty well.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I ve been using Apple airplay to mirror off my computer but also copying onto a micro SD card which the P450 reads also, in both case they look the same, watchable but definitely not super sharp since its blown up obviously. So i want to know how to get the best possible resolution even if the file is larger than it normally is

Comment

I would suggest that you experiment with different bitrate settings in the generic MP4 profile in DVDFab to see which look the best and smoothest. If you have a USB 3.0 flashdrive, try that or an external HDD connected to the USB port--I get better playback with 3.0 flash drives even on devices that do not support USB 3.0. Your projector does not support anything above 1280x720, so that would be the maximum size you would want to use for Blu-ray based content. It is not really effective to upscale DVDs beyond what DVDFab allows (854x472), let the player do it.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Sorry, but have you tried playing the 'source' directly through the projector ?
              You may find that any artefacts you are seeing are actually inherent in the title ...
              Mutt ... All-In-One Lifetime Member

Comment

Good point Mutt, it is possible certainly.

Comment

Working...
                X