UTF-8 problem in Tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other UTF-8 problem in Tags

Hello, when I encode a video to MP4 (using the default profile, but different settings are not important for this bug) and I use non-ASCII characters for a file name (e.g. Síť = Net), the result name included in a name tag in the file is corrupted and displays some Chinese characters. It has happened since you included this feature (automatic tagging) into DVDFab. I've waited for a long time hoping somebody will correct this, but now it looks nobody else cares, or nobody else uses non-ASCII characters, or I am the only one with this issue. Unfortunately servers like Plex don't ignore those tags so they are unable to recognize the file correctly and I need some other tools to remove them from files. It would be nice to at least have an option to disable inclusion of such tags.

One sample: "Stvoření světa" is encoded as "Stvo鴈n Sv靦a"
    Last edited by oksoftware; 03-08-2015, 09:54 AM.

Sorry you have had a problem with this, DVDFab has a huge international user community so I am also puzzled that it has not come up in the past here. I will move your thread to the Ripper forum so that more users and the correct developers will see it sooner.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I echo this issue for a long time. I believe since I switched from dvdfab 8 to dvdfab 9 (yes, I stayed with dvdfab 8 for a long while until dvdfab 8 was no longer updated) I realized this issue and reported in this forum a couple times. The suggestion at that time was to use dvdfab 8 so that I could still remove the title. dvdfab 9 no longer has option to input title (title name is automatically set to be same to file name). I hope that dvdfab would either use uni-code for this or offer option to customize it in future version.

Comment

Any plan on updating to fix this issue?

Is there any plan to update dvdfab to fix this issue? This seems to be a minor fix but it will benefit many hours of users' time. This is a long pass due issue and I hope DVDFab team would fix this. Thanks.

Comment

I may not fully understand the issue, but you can change the output file name to something Plex might understand. After the source is selected click on the file name turn it blue, backspace over the bogus name and type in something better:
          Attached Files
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

I know how to change the output file name as you indicated. The problem is exactly that if you change the file name to Chinese Traditional characters (my Windows is configured to start non-Unicode program with Chinese Traditional code page as well), then the output file name would be correct, but the Title tag (under file properties) embedded in file name (which should be same to file name) becomes garble. This problem only happens to non-English file name.

Comment

I was right, I didn't fully understand.
              How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
              X