Best format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Best format?

Hi folks, and thank you in advance for any guidance that you may offer!

Being relatively new to most things in this field, I have so far managed to set up a Home Theatre system using PLEX, and so far have ripped a few DVDs to watch through this system.

All is working, but one issue I have found is that the MP4 (H264) I have used to rip these DVDs with leaves some skipped frames in the playback (I have tested outside of PLEX playing locally, and still I am seeing skipped frames, and have tested on other computers). Audio works perfectly, and I did rip using 'High Quality" as the choice.

I did a bit of a Google on this, and whilst I can find other reports of this problem, I haven't been able to find a solution as such.

On that basis, I'm looking to figure out a better format (or better settings) to rip with that will still be usable in PLEX.

With many thanks for any assistance that may be offered!

Please be good enough to tell us how you discovered these symptoms and what tools or players report dropped frames. What settings are you using to make the MP4s that exhibit frame dropping?
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thank you - and apologies for missing this information earlier.

I am using DVDFab9 to make H264 MP4 videos from DVD. In DVDFab9 I have MP4 settings as follows:

Codec: H264
      Resolution: 720x404
      Encoding Method: High Quality Encoding
      Video Quality: High Quality
      Frame Rate: 25 (Same as source)
      Split: No split
      Preserve Chapters: Ticked
      Copy Audio: Unticked
      Codec: AAC
      Channels: Stereo
      Sample rate: 48000 Hz
      Bit rate: 128 kbps
      Subtitle: Remux into file

This results in an MP4 file of around 560Mb for about 40 mins of video, which I'm quite happy with. These videos play in PLEX for Home Theatre, but here I can visually observe dropped frames - the audio track is smooth, but when watching the video thing will visually "jump forward" a frame or two, and it does this periodically (around 1-2 times a minute) for the entire playback session.

I have checked the ripped files on another computer, playing without the PLEX environment (that is simply playing the file through Windows Media player), and the same issues exhibit (i.e. dropped frame(s) 1-2 times a minute).

Thanks in advance for any further assistance folks may be able to offer!

Comment

I have a 25fps PAL source DVD and will try to duplicate this problem, which others have also reported. Try setting the frame rate manually to 25 fps rather than "same as source" and see if that helps, this setting has failed once in the past. Please also test playback with VLC or DVDFab Media Player to see if the symptoms are duplicated.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
        X