This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD to AVI not maximizing picture in full screen

Hi everyone. I am having some issues when converting. I use the same profile settings to convert all my movies so far. Most of them convert fine but on some occasions the video will not fill the screen after conversion. It is the same on both Media player on the PC or on my WDTV Media player on my HDTV. I am not sure why this happens or what settings I need to fix this problem. I think it has something to do with the resolutions it is choosing.

Anyone else experienced this or find a solution. I'd hate to think I would have to use another piece of software since I paid my hard earned $ for this one. Overall I am extremely satisfied with this program after trying at least 8 others.

Thanks much. Miix

Again it happened. The movie Dragon: Bruce Lee Story. Anyone have that movie that can give it a try?

Miix

Comment

Check the aspect ratios of the ones that don't fill the screen compared to those that fill it up. You may find that those that fill it OK are 1.8:1 or so, those that do not may all be 2.35:1. DVDFab recommends output aspect ratio choices based on the ratio of the original movie (so that the picture does not appear stretched or squashed when you play it back).
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Signals,

I don't think that is what the OP meant. I have had this happen to only a few movies but I have seen it enough to be a problem.

Instead of a 16:9 movie being encoded at 720 x 400, Fab will automatically choose something like 640 x 360 instead.

(PAL figures, NTSC may be slightly different)

What I have done as a workaround is I define only 720 x 400 and 720 x 576 in the profile and make sure that the resolution is set to "Supported by device"
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

That sounds like an idea I haven't tried yet. I'll give it a whirl and see what happens.

I'll let ya know.

Thanks much

Comment

They always fill the screen on my Archos if they are 1.8-1.85:1, there are always black bars top and bottom with 2.35:1 content as would be expected. In my profiles, I put a screen size for each common aspect ratio, then use "supported by device" and the resize slider to make the screen fill up for the Archos native 480x270 (only on some movies). Better control than the zoom settings on the Archos.

Miix, do you mean black bars on all 4 sides or just top and bottom?
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Bars on all 4 sides. Example when just playing the avi in media player the video stays the same size when you switch to full screen view. It doesn't expand to fill the screen like any other movie does.

Comment

Usually bars on all four sides means the original DVD was letterboxed with the black bars actually encoded as part of the video. See if the picture thumbnail that you get on the Advanced Resolution Settings screen shows the black bars. If it does, you will need to set cropping to Manual and trim them out using the buttons. Automatic cropping normally catches these, but some it does not.

Comment

Originally posted by Miix View Post
                  Hi everyone. I am having some issues when converting. I use the same profile settings to convert all my movies so far. Most of them convert fine but on some occasions the video will not fill the screen after conversion. It is the same on both Media player on the PC or on my WDTV Media player on my HDTV. I am not sure why this happens or what settings I need to fix this problem. I think it has something to do with the resolutions it is choosing.

Anyone else experienced this or find a solution. I'd hate to think I would have to use another piece of software since I paid my hard earned $ for this one. Overall I am extremely satisfied with this program after trying at least 8 others.

Thanks much. Miix
                  Well, maybe you can try this [inappropriate reference to another product] which can easily adjust the aspect ratio of the video to meet the screen of your player.
                  Last edited by GregiBoy; 09-29-2009, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Pretty sure partake06 only registered to promote other products and will be taking a little vacation from the stress of making new posts.

Comment

Signals, Seems that your suggestion about manual cropping worked on most but not all of the movies I am having problems with. I'm still messing around with the options but that definitely got me goin in the right direction. Thanx

Comment

Glad to hear that, sorry about the spam. One gets through occasionally.

Comment

Working...
                        X