MKV Bitrate question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) MKV Bitrate question

I've recently started testing ripping to MKV format vs. M2TS. I've noticed where it seems that the bitrate selected in DVDFab doesn't match the actual output file as reported by Mediainfo nor does the file size. I've attached a zip file which has the DVDfab screenshot of the setting, the logfile and a Mediainfo output. In DVDfab I set the bitrate to 30 Meg but Mediainfo shows it at 22.7 Meg and the output file size is much smaller than DVDFab said it would be (corresponding to the lower bitrate). Is this normal ?
    Attached Files

So I did some more testing with MKV and see a huge difference in the bitrate and resulting file size depending upon whether I am using CUDA or IQS. IQS looks normal in that the bitrate either meets or exceeds DVDFab but CUDA is significantly lower. I don't see this behavior ripping to M2TS format, just MKV. I've attached 2 screenshots for comparison.
    Attached Files

Comment

I did a lot more testing today and here's what I've determined. When ripping to MKV format and leveraging CUDA support some resulting rips have the bitrates and file sizes match the DVDfab settings and some don't. The ones that don't match are significantly lower bit rats and smaller in size. IQS and software are fine.

When ripping normal DVDs to MKV and leveraging CUDA, the resulting bitrates and file sizes are not off intermittently like Blu-Ray sources but all of the time (at least with every regular DVD I tested). When using IQS and software they were fine.

When ripping to M2TS format, whether Blu-Ray or regular DVDs, and regardless of IQS, CUDA or software the bitrates and file sizes were fine. In fact the M2TS format was almost always 100% exact with Mediainfo. In other words if I set the bitrate to 8000 Medinfo would show it exactly 8000. MKV format was never as exacting.

I am curios if the DVDFab folks have any insight.

One other thing I noticed is that with both CUDA and IQS support, ripping to M2TS was significantly faster than MKV. In some cases 50% faster and in others up to 250% faster.
      Last edited by jbinkley60; 08-07-2015, 10:31 PM.

Comment

I've been looking more deeply into the Mediainfo outputs for MKV rips. What I see is that when CUDA support is chosen the bitrate mode is constant, which is different from IQS and software. Below are the Mediainfo outputs of all three DVDFab uses.

CUDA support

General
        Unique ID : 220770998767707026372387302962620684090 (0xA616F29EF3779DB4BA9D4CEE2806573A)
        Complete name : U:\Video Library\New Releases\Blue Ray\Video\ONE_SHOT\One Shot - CUDA.mkv
        Format : Matroska
        Format version : Version 2
        File size : 4.38 GiB
        Duration : 1h 35mn
        Overall bit rate mode : Constant
        Overall bit rate : 6 561 Kbps
        Movie name : One Shot - CUDA
        Encoded date : UTC 2015-08-07 21:15:29
        Writing application : DVDFab 9.2.0.7
        Writing library : libebml v0.7.8 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
        ID : 1
        Format : AVC
        Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
        Format profile : High@L3
        Format settings, CABAC : Yes
        Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
        Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=24
        Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
        Bit rate mode : Constant
        Bit rate : 5 983 Kbps
        Nominal bit rate : 8 000 Kbps
        Width : 856 pixels
        Height : 480 pixels
        Display aspect ratio : 16:9
        Frame rate mode : Constant
        Frame rate : 23.976 fps
        Color space : YUV
        Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
        Bit depth : 8 bits
        Scan type : Progressive
        Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.607
        Stream size : 3.99 GiB (91%)

Software only

General
        Unique ID : 221465452876373121340349953665410913881 (0xA69CB1DA198C00D9875B385A2A19D659)
        Complete name : U:\Video Library\New Releases\Blue Ray\Video\ONE_SHOT\One Shot - software.mkv
        Format : Matroska
        Format version : Version 2
        File size : 5.55 GiB
        Overall bit rate : 8 329 Kbps
        Movie name : One Shot - software
        Encoded date : UTC 2015-08-07 21:23:28
        Writing application : DVDFab 9.2.0.7
        Writing library : libebml v0.7.8 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
        ID : 1
        Format profile : High@L4.1
        Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
        Bit rate : 8 000 Kbps
        Frame rate mode : Constant
        Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.812
        Stream size : 5.14 GiB (93%)

IQS support

eneral
        ID : 0 (0x0)
        Complete name : U:\Video Library\New Releases\Blue Ray\Video\ONE_SHOT\One Shot - IQS.m2ts
        Format : BDAV
        Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
        File size : 5.83 GiB
        Overall bit rate mode : Variable
        Overall bit rate : 8 739 Kbps
        Maximum Overall bit rate : 48.0 Mbps

Video
        ID : 4113 (0x1011)
        Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
        Format profile : High@L4.1
        Codec ID : 27
        Bit rate mode : Variable
        Bit rate : 7 936 Kbps
        Maximum bit rate : 12.0 Mbps
        Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.806
        Stream size : 5.29 GiB (91%)

Comment

Note that the codec settings are slightly different:
          CUDA=High@Level 3
          Software and IQS=High@Level 4.1
          and will produce different results. The .81 b/p is pretty high for h264 video and may even be overkill.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
            Note that the codec settings are slightly different:
            CUDA=High@Level 3
            Software and IQS=High@Level 4.1
            and will produce different results. The .81 b/p is pretty high for h264 video and may even be overkill.
            The codec settings must be changing due to DVDfab, The only change I made between all three rips above was turning on/off CUDA/IQS and software support. I made no other changes to the DVDfab MKV settings.

Comment

Originally posted by jbinkley60 View Post
              I did a lot more testing today and here's what I've determined. When ripping to MKV format and leveraging CUDA support some resulting rips have the bitrates and file sizes match the DVDfab settings and some don't. The ones that don't match are significantly lower bit rats and smaller in size. IQS and software are fine.

When ripping normal DVDs to MKV and leveraging CUDA, the resulting bitrates and file sizes are not off intermittently like Blu-Ray sources but all of the time (at least with every regular DVD I tested). When using IQS and software they were fine.

When ripping to M2TS format, whether Blu-Ray or regular DVDs, and regardless of IQS, CUDA or software the bitrates and file sizes were fine. In fact the M2TS format was almost always 100% exact with Mediainfo. In other words if I set the bitrate to 8000 Medinfo would show it exactly 8000. MKV format was never as exacting.

I am curios if the DVDFab folks have any insight.

One other thing I noticed is that with both CUDA and IQS support, ripping to M2TS was significantly faster than MKV. In some cases 50% faster and in others up to 250% faster.
              I've found the solution to the ripping speed question. When I rip and the output is a network drive (gigabit network) MKV is significantly slower than a local drive whereas M2TS is the same. This must have something to do with how MKV accesses the file share when ripping. I am able to obtain the same ripping speeds to local drives.

So what remains is the differences in bitrate when using CUDA and MKV vs. MKV and IQS or MKV and software. That appears to be a DVDFab bug.

Comment

Working...
              X