Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Low CPU Usage - why?

Hi All,

I’ve just build a pimped new PC running 5820k overclocked to 4.4ghz. The problem I’m having is that DVDFab only seems to be using approx. 20% of the CPUwhen ripping either DVD or BluRay. This is viewed from windows resource monitor. Needless to say this clearly negates the value of me having such a powerful new machine. I’ll detail some of the facts:

- System – 5820k Hex-core with 16gb RAM, Running Windows 10 having upgraded from Windows 7, Sata Blu-ray / DVD Internal Drive
    - Problem
    o Under utilises CPU at only 20% capacity.
    o I’ve run a stress test OCCT / Prime95 and they are both able to access 100% of available CPU so its not the computer (at least not in an obvious way)
    o Ive tried running a sample DVD rip checking and unchecking various options – turbo CPU, Lightening shrink, Software Codecs (software, CUDA etc) all to no affect
    o Even checked BIOS to deactivate Speedstep, just to be sure that wasn’t throttling power

Please help, this is driving me mad!

On my rig if I use CUDA the graphics processor gets the lion's share of the work. My CPU runs 20-40%. Disable all GPU stuff and see what you get?
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Low CPU Usage - really weird

Just built a new PC

(5820k, 16gb ram, PCI-e SSD etc) and have installed Win 7, then immediately upgraded to Win 10. I've overclocked to 4.4ghz.

Having installed DVD Fab when I rip / convert video its only using about 15-20% of the CPU an despite all the playing around with software settings I cant get it to improve. I even downloaded a different branded program to check if its having the same problem (it is). Ripping a DVD / Blu-Ray in Single Pass only gets around 100 FPS which is ludicrous for a machine like this.

The confusing thing is that when I run a bench like OCCT or Prime95 they can access 100% of CPU according to resource monitor.

I'm really out of my depth here technically, so hoping someone can help. Otherwise I've just dumped a load of cash on a media machine, but ended up with a paper weight.

Comment

Tried it. SOftware, CUDA, Software + CUDA - everything. Also tried selecting / deselecting Lightening shrink, Turbo CPU and Number of threads.

However, just tried again and the DVD now ripping at 350 FPS which is alot fast than was, but resource monitor still shows 22% CPU usage. The Internal Drive is whirring a lot more as I would expect.

Very roughly, what sort of speed FPS is good for a high spec machine on a single pass DVD rip?

Comment

The speed bottleneck on a machine like yours is almost certain to be the optical drive. Try using Copy mode to make a DVD into a folder on your HDD, then use that as a source file for the conversion you are making in Ripper.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

better yet put the source and destination folders on separate physical drives.

Comment

Jimbob152 do you have the cores set to 12 in common settings?
              Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes, I have all 12 cores activated. I've tried again and it seems to have suddenly remedied itself with DVD rip FPS shooting up to 350-450. Its great, but also frustrating because I dont understand what happened and how to prevent it happening again.

Perhaps there were errors on the drive read / media, without being enough to halt the operation.

Bizarre!

Comment

Oh my, I don't think you understand multi-cores and procs and is the software built and designed for such. I hope you're not in I.T. You could have a dual Xeon, it doesn't mean your software is going to stress your HP server out. In fact, if it's well designed software, it SHOULDN'T.

If I had ANY software pushing 100% CPU for extended periods, I would kick it to the curb. THAT is poor designed software. We've seen it in OCR software for MFPs and we decommissioned it pretty quickly. Even enterprise products like SQL and Exchange don't push 100% CPU.

GOOD software should be purring along with low or only intermittent spikes in CPU use.

You have SIX CORES! Be thankful you're not pushing 100% CPU, otherwise you've wasted a lot of money. Sheesh.

I'm sad you ran out and bought built that PC and didn't understand what you were accomplishing.

Comment

ChuckLee I can tell by the condescending tone of your post that you don't understand encoding H.264. I have several encoding programs and without the assist of the GPU they will all fully load all logical processors while encoding.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                    X