Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Large file size when using CUDA

Hi,
    I'm new to DVDFab, been using it for a few weeks now without a problem. Recently I've upgraded my hardware, now I'm running:
    Intel Xeon 3.5Ghz CPU
    Nvidia GTX 960 adapter
    16GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I've tried enabling CUDA support when ripping DVDs and Blu-rays using H.265 MKV. Under common settings it shows this is supported:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 Driver Version: 10.18.13.6820
    Supported Video Codecs :
    CUDA_MODE_H264
    CUDA_MODE_VC1
    CUDA_MODE_MPEG2
    CUDA_MODE_H265
    DXVA_MODE_H264
    DXVA_MODE_VC1
    DXVA_MODE_MPEG2
    CoreAVC : cannot be detected.

With CUDA enabled my rips run extremely fast, but the file size is almost always 3 times larger then when I rip with all CPU codecs disabled. Using "Software only" takes me much, much longer to rip.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? I'd appreciate any guidance on making this work.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Attach the DVDFab internal log session from one of those with the problem. Instructions linked in my sig, below
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
      Attach the DVDFab internal log session from one of those with the problem. Instructions linked in my sig, below
      Attached is the portion of the log when I experienced the issue.
      Thanks for your assistance!
      Attached Files

Comment

bruce
        Which quality setting do you have set from the dropdown selector on the left of the screen? For a DVD, I would recommend Fast or Standard to reduce the file size. Also, you have the audio set to copy mode, which will in some cases make the audio part of the output file larger than the video. Unless you really need the multichannel sound, try resetting the audio to re-encode rather than copy. If you set it for Stereo, the file will be much smaller. See the attached captures.
        Attached Files
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
          bruce
          Which quality setting do you have set from the dropdown selector on the left of the screen? For a DVD, I would recommend Fast or Standard to reduce the file size. Also, you have the audio set to copy mode, which will in some cases make the audio part of the output file larger than the video. Unless you really need the multichannel sound, try resetting the audio to re-encode rather than copy. If you set it for Stereo, the file will be much smaller. See the attached captures.
          I have been using CRF for encoding method set to 18-15 depending on the movie. I will try your suggestions about the audio settings, its certainly worth a try.

But when using my current settings if I disable all GPU codecs I get a significantly smaller sized file (i.e 3GB vs 9GB) for the same 3hr movie. The Rip will take about 3-4hrs. With CUDA enabled the rip takes about 30mins, but a much larger file. I cannot help but feel I'm missing something.

Thanks for your help
          Bruce

Comment

The results you are getting don't make much sense, especially for a DVD source. When time permits I will try to duplicate it.

Comment

I will also have a try and put my test result here later.

Wilson
              Please post your logs the default location is:
              For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
              For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
              Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
              If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X