Compression Artifacts H.265/H.264

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Compression Artifacts H.265/H.264

I've compressed hundreds of my discs using DVDFab H.265 (fast encoding 1 pass, .15 bits/pixel) and never had a problem until now. The disc is Bach's St Matthew's Passion. The disc is region 0, BD50. When I rip the disc to mkv (H.265 or H.264) with deinterlace on or off I get blocky compression artifacts around any motion no matter how slight the movement. It's very noticeable. I've attached a screenshot to show the blocking.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Attached Files

Wow, that looks awful. What are you using for playback? Never mind, I see it is VLC. Also, please attach the DVDFab internal log session from the conversion, instructions for this are linked in my sig, below. We are obtaining the disc for testing. Moving your thread to the correct forum (BD Ripper).
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I've attached a log of compressing one chapter of the main movie from that disc. It shows the compression blocking in both VLC and Kodi. I also tried compressing using an older version of DVDFAB (version 9) and it came out with the same artifacts. Thanks for the assistance.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by shmn View Post
        The disc is region 0, BD50.
        A little off-topic, but in order that this doesn't get used by others, there is not such thing as region 0 (DVD or Blu-ray). It is either not region coded or region all (which is region ABC). With Blu-rays, region coding is optional. No studio, that I know if, actually codes region ABC. In that case, they just do not do region checking.

Technically, if a studio were to mistakenly check for region 0, it would not play anywhere. I'm not even sure it is possible to do that.

Comment

shmn,
          The disc has been ordered and should arrive in about a week. Nothing obvious in the log except that you also had AnyDVD running, which DVDFab shut down. This should happen automatically for either software now, but safer to exit the one you are not using.

@MrVideo
          I have several euro-discs that are coded ABC on the box. Rare, but it happens.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
            shmn,
            The disc has been ordered and should arrive in about a week. Nothing obvious in the log except that you also had AnyDVD running, which DVDFab shut down. This should happen automatically for either software now, but safer to exit the one you are not using.
            Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by MrVideo View Post
              A little off-topic, but in order that this doesn't get used by others, there is not such thing as region 0 (DVD or Blu-ray). It is either not region coded or region all (which is region ABC). With Blu-rays, region coding is optional. No studio, that I know if, actually codes region ABC. In that case, they just do not do region checking.

Technically, if a studio were to mistakenly check for region 0, it would not play anywhere. I'm not even sure it is possible to do that.
              Region 0 is printed on the back of the case. See attachment.
              Attached Files

Comment

SHMN Region 0

For commercial use. Travel by bus-train-airplane etc... all 0.

Comment

shmn,
                  I have the disc now, please tell me a chapter that has sufficient motion to notice this effect.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                    shmn,
                    I have the disc now, please tell me a chapter that has sufficient motion to notice this effect.
                    Well, there isn't much motion other than the conductor waving his hands and people playing orchestral instruments. The second chapter is what I took the screenshot from in my original post so that's probably a good place to start.

Thanks for tackling this problem.

Comment

Did you got blocky compression preview it?
                      Last edited by Dora; 07-14-2017, 03:59 AM.
                      User Manual for DVDFab v10 (pdf)

DVDFab log default location:
                      For Windows: C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab10\Log
                      For Mac: Finder> Documents> DVDFab10> Log

DVDFab Player 5:
                      For Windows:C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab Player 5\Log

Comment

Originally posted by Dora View Post
                        Did you got blocky compression preview it?
                        Yes. See attachment.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Raise the Bitrate a bit.
                          Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
                            Raise the Bitrate a bit.
                            Actually, a higher bitrate makes it worse. The screenshot from my original post was at 0.15 bits/pixel and this one was at 0.25 bits/pixel. The blocking artifacts increased in number and size at the higher bit rate. Plus, I've compressed hundreds of Blu-rays at my normal settings and this is the only disc that has this problem.

Well, I tried to upload a screenshot but there is a limit to 100KB. Really? Is this 1990? And no JPG? I took a small crop of a screenshot from VLC measuring 480x380 pixels which is pretty small and it's still 368KB. So a 100KB crop of a screenshot would be just about useless.

Comment

Originally posted by shmn View Post

Actually, a higher bitrate makes it worse. The screenshot from my original post was at 0.15 bits/pixel and this one was at 0.25 bits/pixel. The blocking artifacts increased in number and size at the higher bit rate. Plus, I've compressed hundreds of Blu-rays at my normal settings and this is the only disc that has this problem.

Well, I tried to upload a screenshot but there is a limit to 100KB. Really? Is this 1990? And no JPG? I took a small crop of a screenshot from VLC measuring 480x380 pixels which is pretty small and it's still 368KB. So a 100KB crop of a screenshot would be just about useless.
                              If this is the only movie that this happens on it must have something to do with the pressing. ASs for no JPG, i feel your pain, but I bet it will be added soon as this is a new VB forum update.
                              Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Working...
                              X