This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Sound Quality

I am trying to import just the video of a DVD. I need it to have surround sound. The only profile that I can get it to do that with is mp4 default with 5.1 Multichannel selected. This does in fact give me surround sound, however, the quality is horrendous. Even with the audio bit rate turned all the way up. I have tried Nero, HandBrake, and a few other solutions that have either had lag or choppiness. This is the closest I have come to getting what I want. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Yeah, firstly give us some more details. That would help, especially what you are trying to play the file on.

I, and a lot of others on this forum, have great succes with the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy & generic.avi.h264.audiocopty profiles and no problems whatsoever.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Sorry for the vagueness. The movie I'm trying it on is Rush Hour. My system is as follows:
      • Intel Core2Duo 1.86GHz
      • 4GB DDR2 RAM
      • Sony Blu-Ray Drive
      • EVGA Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT
      • Windows 7 Professional x32

My aim is to have a decent quality video, optional subtitles, surround sound audio (true surround, not Dolby Pro Logic), and the ability to tag the video so I can search for director (although there is not a field for this), actors (artists field), year, or genre. A few things I have imported with Nero are in an MP4 container with AAC audio and H264 I believe, but some movies came out choppy so I switched to this. The choppiness is gone, but I can't get the audio to work properly.

I'll go give that profile a try right now and see what I come up with. Thank you for your help.
      Last edited by seanfrisbey; 02-03-2010, 03:47 PM. Reason: FOrgot to add complete specs of system.

Comment

The generic.avi.h264.audiocopy had good video, but absolutely no sound, in WMP or VLC. I switched to the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy and it seemed to work fine on one chapter. I'm now importing the whole movie to see the results.

Comment

Make sure that you are selecting an AC-3 soundtrack, not DTS.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Continued Frustrations

Ok...i got it to work once, but now I can't do it again. I imported Rush Hour jsut fine. I tried The Lord of the Rings, and it imported just fine. However, now the sound is not working. I have tried:
            • generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy
            • generic.avi.h264.audiocopy
            • generic.avi.divx.audiocopy
            • generic.mp4.h264.aac

But none of them are producing sound. When I go to the file properties on ones that worked, the audio section says the bit rate, 6 channels, and the sampling rate. On the files now, they are all blank. Nothing I play them with will produce sound. This is also heppending on another computer. I must be doing something wrong...any ideas?

Thanks

P.S. All of the audio tracks I select are "AC-3/5.1"
            Last edited by seanfrisbey; 02-05-2010, 11:18 PM. Reason: Added clarification.

Comment

You may not have the correct codecs installed.

Download, install and try the free VLC player (www.videolan.org) which requires NO codecs to be installed to play properly.

Sorry, I see that you have done that. It must be in your settings somewhere. Maybe a screen capture will help us diagnose.

Comment

I've tried playing in WMP and VLC and neither of them work. My volumes are all turned up and unmuted.

Comment

OK. Lets go back a step.

Does the original DVD play in the computer with sound, and if so, how?

Comment

The DVD plays fine in a DVD player, the computer's DVD drive (in WMP and VLC, both with surround capabilities), and if I rip the DVD to a folder (using DVD to DVD) or even as an ISO file, they all play fine. The only problem I have is getting audio out of ANY of the DVD to Mobile results. I have even taken the riped copy ofthe VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders and put them through the DVD to Mobile, and I still get no sound. With the MP4 container, Windows generally recognizes the audio information, but it is not. Nothing is
                    Last edited by seanfrisbey; 02-06-2010, 12:34 AM.

Comment

I have tried the new beta version too and that doesn't work.

Comment

You said that when you rip the DVD to a folder it plays fine in WMP and VLC - are you using this same rip to encode to MP4, etc?

If you aren't doing this, this is the best practice... See the following thread:

Other than WMP/VLC are you attempting to play this on anything else? HTPC, Media Center Extender, PS3, etc? If so, do these have the same sound quality problems?

Comment

I tried encoding that rip to a few different things, that one included, and they didn't work. I have followed that thread, and that is still giving me these results. I have also encoded it directly from the disc. Same thing. I do have a PS3, but have not tried playing anything on that yet. The computer I'm doing all of this on IS my HTPC, and I have no media extenders. I will try it on the PS3 and give you my results.

Thanks for all of your help

Comment

I can't get my head around this !!!

Either there is something funny about your PC or you must be doing something wrong. Just can't work out what.

Have you any other media player/extender that you can do a test of a file on?

Comment

HERE is a RapidShare link I just made with chapter 13 of Rush Hour (only 8MB). I can't get this to play on anything. Check it out if you can to see what's up.

Comment

Working...
                              X