Weird problem with ripping MP4s and the file properties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Weird problem with ripping MP4s and the file properties

So I've been ripping all of my disks to MP4 for my home media server. On some rips, I'm able to modify the file properties to add the correct year, title, etc (like the Spider-Man 3 below). And others, it's blank and I'm not able to add anything (like the Wolverine below). I think it may have something to do with audio settings, because I'll re-rip only changing around the audio and it will work. So, I've been messing around with them with each rip but I haven't figured it out yet.

One odd thing is that if I go into the folder and click the file to play on my windows 10 machine, it will only play the file with the properties. It will give the below error if I try to play one of the files without properties on my windows 10 machine. Plex will play both files just fine though.

Anyone have any ideas what's up?

If you have another player installed, please try them on your PC and see if they will play on VLC or DVDFab Media Player (both are free forever for playing video files). If you have MediaInfo installed, please let it scan both files and attach the text output to a new post.

You can get MediaInfo here: https://mediaarea.net/download/binar...97_Windows.exe
    Last edited by signals; 08-03-2017, 01:21 AM.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Unless it has changed .
      Watch for a lot of adware that tries to install with MediaInfo.
      It's not a problem if you watch for it & do whats necessary to stop it from installing.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
        If you have another player installed, please try them on your PC and see if they will play on VLC or DVDFab Media Player (both are free forever for playing video files). If you have MediaInfo installed, please let it scan both files and attach the text output to a new post.

You can get MediaInfo here: https://mediaarea.net/download/binar...97_Windows.exe
        I don't have any other player installed (I normally don't watch videos on here), but here are the text output files. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with either.

I've been ripping BDs with DVDFab 9 lately since it's been more consistent than 10 for me. I may go back and try Version 10. Then again, I may not since it still seems to play fine in Plex.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the files, they are very helpful. As to the Fab version, that is up to you but remember that some types of protections for DVD and BD will require a version update and sooner or later it will become less useful. Consider adding DVDFab Media Player 3, it is fairly low footprint and will play anything that is not on a disc for free forever. It makes a handy tool even if you don't watch movies on the PC.

I am moving this thread to the Ripper forum, someone else with the same problem may see it there.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

@ ARAMP1 , You probably already know & do this .
            You can have several versions of DVDFab installed on the same OS.
            I have versions 7 through 10 installed.
            I even have the very old version 3 HD Decrypter installed.
            They never seem to conflict with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by cholla View Post
              @ ARAMP1 , You probably already know & do this .
              You can have several versions of DVDFab installed on the same OS.
              I have versions 7 through 10 installed.
              I even have the very old version 3 HD Decrypter installed.
              They never seem to conflict with each other.
              Yes, I have 8, 9, and 10 installed. Lately, I seem to be having problems ripping bluray disks in version 10. Normally, the disks will rip at 15-25 FPS and produce a good copy. Lately, with version 10, I'll know right away that the rip won't be successful when it'll start reading the disks at 100 FPS. DVDs don't seem to be affected. I'm sure there's a setting in version 10 that needs to be adjusted. But, I've been using version 9 without any issues.

And, of note, the movie rip was successful and plays just fine in Plex. I'm just wondering why some MP4s will complete and allow adjustment of the properties (making it easier for Plex to find the metadata) and some won't.

Comment

I rarely do blue ray so I can't help with it very much .

For the MP4s . There is a Metadata setting in DVDFab but I'm certain you have it checked or you would get it on any rip.
                I never did figure out why a MP4 done with Ripper won't play on my TV . (Directly from an external harddrive or flash drive).
                I get incorrect audio & video codec warnings.
                Other conversion software using the same DVD source will play.
                If I use the MKV format instead it plays fine.
                I posted all this in this thread:

Another member started that thread & was also having MP4 problems.
                I haven't tried the latest version 10 yet to see if it has been fixed.
                I will probably wait for a couple of more releases before I try again.

Comment

Originally posted by cholla View Post
                  I rarely do blue ray so I can't help with it very much .

For the MP4s . There is a Metadata setting in DVDFab but I'm certain you have it checked or you would get it on any rip.
                  I never did figure out why a MP4 done with Ripper won't play on my TV . (Directly from an external harddrive or flash drive).
                  I get incorrect audio & video codec warnings.
                  Other conversion software using the same DVD source will play.
                  If I use the MKV format instead it plays fine.
                  I posted all this in this thread:

Another member started that thread & was also having MP4 problems.
                  I haven't tried the latest version 10 yet to see if it has been fixed.
                  I will probably wait for a couple of more releases before I try again.
                  Hi,

To seach the metadate is based on the file name and file title, please try the latest DVDFab version, thanks!

Wilson
                  Please post your logs the default location is:
                  For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                  For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                  Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                  If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X