This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem ripping some Stargate SG-1 discs

I had previously copied all Stargate SG-1 discs to folder. This gives me a folder for each disc containing the actual files of the dvd (vobs and such). Today I began ripping the episodes to mkv files which went fine for the first season (5 different discs/folders). Season 2 and 3, likely more, are giving me trouble with every disc. It can load the files, preview the video, prepare to rip, but then counts down and down on fps and up and up on the time without ever creating a file. I let it sit for some time and it did not give an error. I tried updating my nvidia drivers, restarting pc, dvdfab is already updated, moving the location of the processed file, and even tried software instead of cuda. I jumped all the way ahead to season 10 and that seems to be working fine. I could understand if one disc copy was bad but all 10 disc folders for s2 and 3? What is going on?

This may not be the problem you're having.
    When this happened to me on a video it was the audio track.
    I believe it was "Undefined Audio" instead of one like "EN AC-3/5.1" .

Comment

You can test the folders using DVDFab Media Player, it is free for playing anything except optical discs. It will detect any problem with the folder content. If you can find the DVDFab internal log sessions from making the folders, please attach it using the instructions linked in my sig, below. One of the log sessions from the Ripper conversions that fail would be helpful as well. Each log session begins with a date/time/version stamp with newer entries toward the end of the dvdfab_internal.log file.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by cholla View Post
        ..."Undefined Audio"...
        Thanks for the tip. My audio is fine but the subtitles show Undefined on the non working discs where as the ones that have worked show English. I bet they would work if I cut the subtitles but I need them for my parents.

Originally posted by signals View Post
        You can test the folders using DVDFab Media Player...
        I tried the program and the folders play fine. I think the problem has to do with subtitles being broken which sucks because I actually needed those.

*I tested with no subtitles and it did work. Any thought on saving the subtitles?

Comment

Please make a zip file of all the IFO files on the original disc and the IFOs for the corresponding DVDFab output folder for one of the ones that won't work. I will send you an upload link in a PM. I thought I had several of the SG-1 episode discs but I can't find them immediately.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
            Please make a zip file of all the IFO files...
            I don't have the original discs any more. They went back with my mom and were in pretty bad shape. Some of them took a lot of work just to get them copied. One literally broke apart just after it finished ripping. Since I was able to eventually copy them all without errors I assumed they were good.

Well I just realized this doesn't matter because there were no English subtitles on the earlier seasons. I do appreciate the help. Thank you.

Comment

You are welcome, sorry the outcome was not better. Maybe you can win the lottery and buy the box set.

Comment

@ qqq1,
                I wanted to make sure so I know this.
                When you removed the undefined subtitles from the rip & conversion to .MKV with DVD Ripper it worked as it should ?

I suggest this .
                There are several subtitle sights on the Internet .
                I rarely have used them as I haven't needed any subtitles a disc didn't have .
                I've played around with a couple of oddball files from time to time.
                I believe I used software other than DVDFab for this.
                I'm not sure if DVDFab can add external subtitles to the DVD Folders & files you already have.
                Someone like signals probably has this information & a method for doing it.
                If you do try this I suggest you make a copy of the DVD folders you already have somewhere else on your hard drive.
                Work with the second copy so the original rip stays pristine (or as good as it is now).

I remember reading DVDFab can add external subtitles to a .MKV so you might want to try that.
                Again someone like signals would know more about the method to do this.
                I do believe you can find a English version of the subtitles online but I didn't look for any.
                How good they are depends on how good a job the person that created them did.

There is also software that lets you create your own subtitles .
                I'm not experienced with it but I have read about it.
                More than I've tried to learn no more than I use subtitles.

Comment

I have the subtitles of all 8 SG-1 seasons in .srt format which works fine for my media center setup. I created the srt files using a program called CCextractor which will let you pull the CC text which is different than a subtitle stream. I'd be willing to give you all of the SG-1 subtitle files if you're interested. And can give you pointers on how use CCextractor for other TV episode discs that don't have a subtitle stream but do have embedded CC. Let me know if you're interested. No sense redoing something I've already done and am willing to share with you. each srt file is pretty small about 50K. Would be easy enough to zip them and send them personal mail. Let me know

Comment

I have found some pretty obscure subtitles online, tvsubtitles.net, or similar. Easy enough to add them in Ripper.
                    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I did actually try adding subtitles through DVDFab but I found they lost sync as the episodes went on.

Comment

I can confirm that this issue exists on S2 and S3 (so far) of my SG-1 set as well. I have the Complete Set purchased for $80 on Amazon back in 2012. Disabling the ripping of subtitles fixes the issue for some discs, but there are some where it still won't rip from disc. Ripping the full disc to disc folder and then ripping from there fixes those, but it's a lot of extra time to rip them.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnathon View Post
                          I can confirm that this issue exists on S2 and S3 (so far) of my SG-1 set as well. I have the Complete Set purchased for $80 on Amazon back in 2012. Disabling the ripping of subtitles fixes the issue for some discs, but there are some where it still won't rip from disc. Ripping the full disc to disc folder and then ripping from there fixes those, but it's a lot of extra time to rip them.
                          try version 9 of dvdfab - https://www.dvdfab.cn/download.htm
                          and see if it works any better. you can install it along side dvdfab 10

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

try version 9 of dvdfab - https://www.dvdfab.cn/download.htm
                            and see if it works any better. you can install it along side dvdfab 10
                            Already had 9 installed - Did a rip of the folder from one of the discs and it worked fine. The subtitles don't work (It rips 2 blank subtitle tracks and a track that indicates what chapter is playing constantly) - Playing the DVD folder through VLC player shows the subtitles correctly.

Comment

@ Johnathon ,
                              Just to satisfy my curiosity .
                              The DVD folder that plays the subtitles through VLC player is the one you just ripped with version 9 ?
                              If so : What program are the 2 blank subtitle tracks playing or displaying on ?

Comment

Working...
                              X