This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV Show/Series to Ipod

Hi I have a question about ripping TV Shows that I own on DVD and want to put them on my Ipod. I notice when I play the TV Shows using VLC Player that the each episode is tied to a Title whcih is further divide into chapters. I also notice that there are Titles that don't get played but will play if I right click and tell it to play a certain Title. I was just wonder what these Titles are. I even noticed 2 of them that are longer (about a Hour & a Half long) then what an episode of the series is (which is about 40 something minutes).

Am I correct in that I just rip the ones that Titles that are being played when I select an episode from the menu and that the extra titles are just that extra titles that in not actually episode or are episodes that are not in correct playing order and are just there to throw someone off who's trying to rip them.

This is my first time ripping DVDs that are TV Shows. I normally just stick with using Full Mode to make back ups. I'm confused.

After further inspection I've noticed when I turned recap on and or off that for the same episode a different Title would play. So essential it has 2 of each episode on the disc 1 with a recap and 1 without. But it doesn't explain the 2 Titles that are a little more then twice as long as all the others.
    Last edited by richmoral; 02-15-2010, 02:36 AM.

On TV episode discs, these titles are often "Play All" menu selections or 2-part episodes that play as one. Some discs have extra or bonus features as well, you can identify these by the choices in the menu. Use the Preview window or your standalone player to sort them out.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
      On TV episode discs, these titles are often "Play All" menu selections or 2-part episodes that play as one. Some discs have extra or bonus features as well, you can identify these by the choices in the menu. Use the Preview window or your standalone player to sort them out.
      I see. That's what I thought. I still haven't been able to figure out 2 Titles that are both about an hour and half long each. Even when I check Play All it plays the same Title as if I were to select the first episode by itself which is only 46 minutes and 20 seconds long.

Also what's an ideal Video Bitrate, Audio Bitrate, and Resolution to use if I'm going to be converting the files to watch on a 2nd Gen Ipod Touch?

Comment

Two titles with the same length are often just a way to get the audio commentary to play as default. Whichever title the DVD player (or software player) plays by default is the one you want.

Bitrate "ideal" is very subjective. Try different bitrates starting with the default that comes up with the Ipod profile and see what you like (encode a single chapter multiple times in different bitrates). The correct resolution is usually already set by the Ipod profile.

Comment

For a screen the size of a true mobile device, I doubt you will be able to see much difference, depending on the output screen size you have chosen. In general, regardless of the output size selected, set the bitrate slider so that the Bits/Pixel reads .20-.25 or greater. Some content will look better with a higher setting. A 480x270 output size will take about 800-1000 kbps to produce this reading. Experiment with some short conversions, as Complication noted, this is subjective.
          Originally posted by richmoral View Post
          I see. That's what I thought. I still haven't been able to figure out 2 Titles that are both about an hour and half long each. Even when I check Play All it plays the same Title as if I were to select the first episode by itself which is only 46 minutes and 20 seconds long.

Also what's an ideal Video Bitrate, Audio Bitrate, and Resolution to use if I'm going to be converting the files to watch on a 2nd Gen Ipod Touch?
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
          X