Read errors with The Shape of Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Read errors with The Shape of Water

I keep getting read errors at approx 60% into The Shape of Water.

Tried the suggested things such as pressing retry, ignore, ignore all. Then cleaning the Blu-ray disc making sure it's 100% free of dust and fingerprint marks. I also checked for any scratches and found none. I also tried both DTS and AC-3 as well as all titles with the correct length.

The disc plays with no issues in my PS3.

Are there any settings I could try to adjust in DVDFab that could have a positive effect on this behavior?

did you try checking the disc for manufacturing defects ?? look at the disc at an angle under a bright light
    to see if any defects can be seen. the disc may play fine but that doesn't mean it'll copy fine.

Comment

Yep, as I said in my first post I checked for scratches or any other physical issues with the disc but found none.

Really odd. Because I've seen this issue in the past but then it has always been very obvious what has been causing the issue. And once the disc has been cleaned, the problem has also been fixed.

Comment

Some disc protection schemes can cause this, but I thought Shape of Water was supported. Please attach the DVDFab internal log session that shows the read errors.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Yep, that seems to be the case here because I just had the disc replaced with a new one causing the same read errors at approx 60% while the encoding FPS drops at the same time until it's close to zero and the only option is to cancel the operation.

Attached is internal log file as requested.
          Attached Files

Comment

2018.08.19-15:49:55: type Blu-ray BDMV
            2018.08.19-15:49:55: volume label SHAPE_OF_WATER
            2018.08.19-15:49:55: bd set region A
            2018.08.19-15:50:04: blu-ray 6631E30E9B569BF6A67546C9A69423218FE5F912
            From the log file, the movie is BD rather than a DVD. Please do clean the disc as well as your drive to load the movie disc as source again. You can use Copy-Clone mode to create an ISO file from the movie disc and see if it works or not .

If it is okay, and load the created ISO file to convert again and see if it will make a difference.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Mona!

I'm not sure why you're pointing out this is a BD rather than a DVD because I mentioned already in my first post it's a Blu-Ray disc. Maybe I failed to pick the correct tag somewhere...?

As for cleaning I already tried that. And as mentioned in a post above I even had the disc replaced with a new one to make sure it wasn't a bad disc.

Most likely, this is some kind of disc protection scheme causing this as suggested by your colleague signals above.

Should also mention that I only have this issue with this specific title.

Choosing the copy mode I was informed I was in trial mode. Not sure if that stops me from trying what you suggest? Anyways, I just started a copy to an ISO-file in this trial copy mode and will let you know the result. I also guess the same thing will then happen when I pick the convert mode to convert it from ISO to AVI since I normally only use the ripper module.

Comment

This is how far I've got so far after about 45 minutes. As you can see, it looks like it has problems around 60% also using the method you suggested. Will keep it running though and see what happens...

Click image for larger version

Name:	SOW DVDFab progress.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	358330

Comment

Sorry to say it just failed. I used the form presented by your software to send you a message as well where I also referred to this thread.

Attached is also the latest log file.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Happy to report the issue went away after upgrading to 10.2.1.0 just released.

So looks like Signals was correct it was a protection issue which was addressed in the version above rather than a proper read issue.

Thanks!

Comment

I have version 10.2.1.6 of DVDFab Blu-ray ripper and in my case the ripping stops at 62%. I have inspected the disc and also cleaned it. There are no signs of imperfections. Still no luck. It stops at 62% with a read error. Choosing "ignore" does not matter. I can't get past 62%. I strongly suggest that this is due to a copy-protection scheme that DVDFab cannot handle.

Comment

Working...
                      X