This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Ripping issues with Forced Subtitles & Plex

I am having issue while ripping Blu Ray movies with Forced Subtitles.

As an example, I am currently working with The Godfather Part II

My setup is that I use Plex as my media server running through a Roku or on my Apple devices (iPhone and iPad).

What I would like to have is a file with the best quality video and audio, Forced Subtitles on by default, and also have the ability to turn on English subtitles in case the audio is not clear and I'm trying to win or lose a drunken argument about what was just said.

The format I've been using is MP4 but I could be talked into MKV if it would resolve my issue.

What happens is I rip the video, selecting all the English subtitles and setting the Display Only Forced on the subtitles. The resulting rip contains all the subtitle tracks as selectible, but the Forced track is not on by default when I play it through Plex.

I've seen reference in other posts to setting this manually using something called Subtitle Edit. I downloaded this last night, but could not see a way to set a "forced flag" for a subtitle track.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I just want to rip the movies so they play like the disk does on my Blu Ray player, with the option to turn on full English subtitles manually if I want.

Do you have Plex setup correctly?
    Whether or not subtitles are automatically displayed when you play something from your Library is based on several factors. Configure...

You can specify language settings for your Plex account related to how audio and subtitle tracks are chosen when playing...

I burn-in all Forced Subtitles so that the video is Direct Played.
    I don't rip any subtitles as a separate SRT file.
    So I can never turn on subtitles during playback.
    To do what you want, I think you would have to rip the movie with the forced subs burned-in and then rip the subtitles separate and add them to the movie folder.

Comment

I believe I have PLEX setup to play the forced subtitle track when it's there. I have other movies where it seems to play the forced subs, but I recognize it's possible those could be burned into the image.

I think the actual issue is that the subtitle track is not flagged correctly. I just don't know how to change that. Again, I used Subtitle Edit but could not see anything that seemed to allow me to set the subtitle flag.

Comment

I have this issue as well. Usually it is the second Subtitle Track for me, but PLEX doesn't play it automatically, and neither does Windows 10 Movies and TV app...

Comment

You can set the forced flack in MKVtoolnix (assuming that you are ripping to MKV)...
          • open the file in their GUI (header editor).
          • Pick the subtitle track to be forced
          • Select the track‘s forced property and set it to true/yes
          • Save the file

Comment

Originally posted by Nik_Simpson View Post
            You can set the forced flack in MKVtoolnix (assuming that you are ripping to MKV)...
            • Select the track‘s forced property and set it to true/yes
            • Save the file
            I am ripping to MP4 in almost all instances. I still want to stay compatible with my Apple devices (iPhone and iPad).

Comment

Originally posted by Nik_Simpson View Post
              • Select the tracks forced property and set it to true/yes
              • Save the file
              It's 2021 and DVDFAB has been around for many years and theres still not an option to default rip the subtitle track with the Forced Property set to Yes? This is annoying to say the least. I've been using DVDFAB since 2005. I rip shows ALL the time. And it's quite annoying to go through MKVtoolnix one episode at a time to fix this.
              Last edited by greatryry; 06-06-2021, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by greatryry View Post

It's 2021 and DVDFAB has been around for many years and theres still not an option to default rip the subtitle track with the Forced Property set to Yes? This is annoying to say the least. I've been using DVDFAB since 2005. I rip shows ALL the time. And it's quite annoying to go through MKVtoolnix one episode at a time to fix this.
                There are some forced subtitle related options:
                This Scan Forced Subtitle option will be remembered the next time once you set it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	scan forced.png Views:	0 Size:	25.1 KB ID:	396093

In the Common Settings panel, you can set it to "Always display only forced subtitle" too.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	forced subtitle.png Views:	0 Size:	35.3 KB ID:	396094
                Please have a try.

Comment

I am running into this issue as well. The addition of these subtitle scanning options to DVDFab have have been great, the problem is that DVDFab is not tagging the forced subtitle track in the resulting file. The result of this is that Plex cannot tell which subtitle track is the forced one, because it is not tagged as forced in the file. If you take a look at the images I have attached, The Dark Knight Rises is a file that I updated in MKVToolnix to set the forced subtitle flag on the last subtitle track. As a result, Plex sees the tag and automatically selects that file. The Revenant has not had the forced flag set and you can see that Plex does not know that it is forced. I have used all of the settings mentioned in the previous post. It would be awesome if DVD fab could update its subtitle feature to include tagging of the forced subtitle track in the resulting file. It would also be amazing if DVDfab could create a program that I could run on my server that would batch tag a bunch of existing files I have already ripped. I really hope this helps get this feature moving in the right direction.

*EDIT* Apparently there is a limit to 2 images per post. I will attach more to the next post.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here are the resulting images from Plex.
                    Attached Files

Comment

If you will use the Direct Render to Video option in DVDFab Ripper the subs will appear on any player.
                      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Yes, I have done that. I could also just rip with only the subtitle track. I can also just tag mark the subtitle track as tagged in another program. The latter solution is the only one that would allow me to select a non forced sub track if it turns out I can't understand some of the dialog. The issue is that this is something that DVDFab could easily do since it is scanning for forced subs anyway. It would make everything work much better.

Comment

Working...
                        X