Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MKV - automatically display forced but also have non-forced available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) MKV - automatically display forced but also have non-forced available?

Hello!

I attempted to search for this specific question, but I was unable to find one that addressed it. If I've missed it, I'd appreciate it if someone could provide a link.

Many of the movies that I want to rip from Blu-ray to MKV have both forced subtitles and regular subtitles. I would like to rip those in a way that shows the forced subtitles by default, but also allows the other subtitle track to be toggled on and off.

For example, in "The Hunt for Red October," there are some scenes that feature the Soviet characters speaking Russian(-ish). I would like those subtitles to either directly render to the video or default to display automatically. However, I would also like to retain the ability to turn the other subtitle track - the one that shows what the characters are saying when they're speaking English - on or off.

Or is my only option to remux both tracks into the file, and manually turn on the forced subtitles every time?

Thanks!

This will be difficult due to the many ways that translation subs are implemented on Blu-rays. Also, not all players handle them the same way. I have never tried this, but I think you will find the most successful method will be to use the Direct Render option for the translations (whether they are true forced or default play), then extract the stream for the regular dialog and remux it manually. Getting this to work will be a major pain since the next disc you try will probably require a different approach. Someone else may have found a better way to accomplish this and hopefully will respond also.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

would this work post #9 - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...les-don-t-work

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post
        Sadly, no. I've tried not selecting the "forced subtitle" option in the task queue, but I get the same behavior.

They're definitely encoded as forced subtites, too - DVDFab notes that in the log.

Comment

OK, after a significant amount of fiddling, here's what I've found.

DVDFab will not tag the forced subtitles track as forced even though it detects it as forced, as you can see in this screenshot from MKVToolNix.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MKVToolNix.PNG
Views:	411
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	374399

That was with "Normal and Forced" subtitles on; right now, I'm trying it with just forced subtitles selected, along with one of the normal subtitle tracks.

So it appears that my only solution is to remux every file that has a forced subtitle track using MKVToolNix because DVDFab won't tag that track properly. And just to prove that the track is tagged properly on the disc and DVDFab knows it's forced:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Forced.PNG
Views:	343
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	374400

Comment

For reference, the Blu-rays that I've tested this with so far:

The Hunt for Red October (individual disc)
            The Godfather parts 1, 2, and 3 (4-disc Francis Ford Coppola edition)
            Mission Impossible 4 and 5 (5-disc Mission Impossible 1-5 collection)
            Star Trek 1, 3, and 6 (7-disc original series movie collection)

All exhibit exactly the same behavior.
            Last edited by FuriousBrad; 11-06-2019, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X