This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD to Mobile

I have an ongoing problem that I hope you can help with. I have been using DVDFab for probably close to a year. I have used it to rip about 20 of my DVDs to a hard drive with no problems. I have no success with DVD to Mobile conversions. I had this problem about a year ago and just gave up, it really wasn't that important at the time. The kids now have iPod Touches so they are anxious to get some movies on their iPods. I upgraded to the latest version of DVDFab today and still the same problem. When I try and do a DVD to Ipod Touch conversion it starts and goes 5 or 10 minutes and the computer just shuts down with no warning. I tried this on a few different files with the same results.

Details are these:

Running Windows XP with all updates
    Running DVDFab 6 downloaded today (10/3/09)
    Computer: AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Processor Core 4200+ 2.21 Ghz 960 mb RAM
    Making the conversion from a ripped DVD folder that was made using DVDFab.
    Using the supplied Ipod Touch profile with only one change, unchecked subtitles.

Mike

I've seen this before as a heat related problem. The conversion to mobile will use all CPUs at maximum to reduce conversion time. A lot of PCs are designed for short bursts of CPU usage and not a constant maximum. As the computer gains heat, something will reach a point where it will just shut off.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
      I've seen this before as a heat related problem. The conversion to mobile will use all CPUs at maximum to reduce conversion time. A lot of PCs are designed for short bursts of CPU usage and not a constant maximum. As the computer gains heat, something will reach a point where it will just shut off.
      So how can I get it to work with the system that I have.

Comment

There is no way that I know of to reduce the amount of CPU that DVDFab uses. You will have to solve the heat problem on the PC. I would start by making sure it has adequate ventilation. The CPU fan inside may not be working or you may need to add a fan. There is lots of information on the internet on how to better cool your PC (over-clockers are always looking for ways).

Comment

Try removing the checkmark from the "Enable Turbo CPU" box and set the memory allocation dropdown to Normal or Low instead of Auto or Max to throttle it back a little. These controls are on the Settings->XtoMobile->Convert page. If your video card supports CUDA or DXVA acceleration, enable that to take some of the load off of the CPU. As correctly noted by Complication, this is often heat or power related. May also help not to multitask while converting.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
            Try removing the checkmark from the "Enable Turbo CPU" box and set the memory allocation dropdown to Normal or Low instead of Auto or Max to throttle it back a little. These controls are on the Settings->XtoMobile->Convert page. If your video card supports CUDA or DXVA acceleration, enable that to take some of the load off of the CPU. As correctly noted by Complication, this is often heat or power related. May also help not to multitask while converting.
            Like I said, I only know of three ways to reduce the CPU load of DVDFab...

Comment

LOL @ Dr. House
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the advice...A little canned air saved the day.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X