Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DTS 5.1 vs. AAC 5.1 Compatibility issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DTS 5.1 vs. AAC 5.1 Compatibility issue.

I've just gone through several days of trying to resolve why I couldn't rip a file to MKV Passthrough and open it in a video editor I have. The output files would play nicely in all of my media players, but when imported into the editor there would be no sound.

After several support incidents with the publisher of the editor, several reinstalls of DVDFab and the editor, if finally found a reference to a similar problem reported in a forum from several years ago. I believe that it should have been fixed by now.

As it turns out, the passthrough would only export DTS (5.1 ? ) as the same as the source video. Changing to a non-standard 'custom' output format allowed me to output the audio as AAC 5.1, which the editor accepted correctly. - There is a defect in DTS audio output using your passthrough templates that doesn't work as it should.

Does your editor support DTS from other sources?
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Yes. I certainly does. I have opened a number of clips with DTS 5.1 and there's no problem. As an experiment, I've also done two identical extractions using pass-through video, and one using audio in DTS 5.1 and one using AAC 5.1. It is also noteworthy that the original audio source is DTS 5.1.

Comment

Sorry you are having a problem with it. Since you posted I a forum not designed for support, I will move your thread if you will tell me which module (Ripper? Converter?) that you are using. Please also specify the disc title and provide a link to somewhere the same disc can be purchased.

Note that the Beijing office is closed for a national holiday until next week, which will delay a response from the developers.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I am using the latest release of DVDFab.

Enjoy your holiday

Comment

Sorry. Misinterpreted you last comment. I have seen this problem in both Ripper and Converter. (I may be exacerbating this problem in copy by specifying only DTS.)

For the present, I am just using AAC. I also have a MediaInfo text header from an extract where I ripped for both AAC and DTS.

Comment

I will move your thread to the Ripper forum. It will leave a link here if you have trouble finding it. Ha, I get no holiday until the Beijing staff returns.

in the meantime, please analyze one of these files that the editor won’t open with MediaInfo and attach the text output to a post.

Comment

I too am seeing something very similar. I'm in the process of ripping all my old DVDs and I selected the Lossless/Passthrough rip settings in the Profiles settings. When I insert a DVD everything runs fine and as expected. Once the title is selected I have the options to click the wrench icon and there I cannot change video nor audio settings. They are both set to "Copy from Source" or something similar. About half the DVDs I've ripped this way have no audio. When I play the file the video looks great but there's simply no audio in the file. I get this on Windows Media Player, Windows Photo player, and from my Plex server.

I'm not sure these are related but it seems to be very similar if not the same issue.

Comment

If you are using one of the Passthrough profiles, you have in effect already selected Same as Source for both video and audio, so the control boxes are not available. I believe most of the others posting in this thread have problems when the original audio on the disc is dts or one its subtypes. Try VLC or DVDFab Media Player v6. The developers will continue work on this after the China Day holiday.

Comment

I believe that I may have found the problem, or this may just be a red herring...

Some time, when I attempt to rip to an mp4 or mkv, I specify AAC audio, because that is what my editor will accept. It doesn't seem to like passthrough DTS 5.1. However, if the resultant clip's audio is AAC (like the MediaInfo fragment, below) then it will load the file but won't use the audio.

Audio
                    ID : 2
                    Format : AC-3
                    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
                    Commercial name : Dolby Digital
                    Codec ID : ac-3
                    Duration : 1 h 46 min
                    Bit rate mode : Constant
                    Bit rate : 448 kb/s
                    Channel(s) : 6 channels
                    Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs
                    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
                    Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
                    Compression Audio

The editor still thinks it is getting DTS 5.1. - If I view the clip's properties in the editor, it still thinks it is getting DTS.

Below is the output from another DVDFab rip specifying AAC. -This one imports into my editor correctly- There are differences, but I wonder which one causes the problem...

I also wonder why specifying AAC 5.1 conversion from the same profile gives two different results in the output.

ID : 2
                    Format : AAC LC
                    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
                    Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
                    Duration : 1 h 25 min
                    Bit rate mode : Variable
                    Bit rate : 448 kb/s
                    Maximum bit rate : 453 kb/s
                    Channel(s) : 6 channels
                    Channel layout : C L R Ls Rs LFE
                    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
                    Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
                    Compression mode : Lossy
                    Stream size : 274 MiB (5%)
                    Title : English (aac 5.1)
                    Language : English
                    Default : Yes
                    Alternate group : 1
                    Encoded date : UTC 2020-10-22 13:52:43
                    Tagged date : UTC 2020-10-22 14:40:59
                    mode : Lossy
                    Stream size : 342 MiB (9%)
                    Title : English (ac3 5.1)
                    Language : English
                    Service kind : Complete Main
                    Default : Yes
                    Alternate group : 1
                    Encoded date : UTC 2020-10-24 20:18:39
                    Tagged date : UTC 2020-10-24 20:24:57

Any replies with suggestions would be welcome...

Comment

Working...
                    X