This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Persistent subtitles/pictures

Using 7.0.6.2 to generate either a MKV (audiocopy) or iPad version of "A Bridge too Far" and am having a problem wherein the subtitles are not being erased until replaced with another subtitle. I have identified the subpicture that contains just the German translation. I am making sure that the render to video option is selected. I have tried selecting (or not) the forced option.

It seem that regardless of what I do, when I play the resulting file back, the subtitle that was last displayed stays on the screen until a new subtitle is displayed. In other words, in the scenes between those with spoken German, the last thing that was said is constantly displayed. Imagine a group of British soldiers vigilantly defending a bridge with the words "Go tell your Mother" constantly displayed.

I am sure that there is a setting somewhere that I am missing. Help?

gjoyce3

It is your player issue, the way your player handles subtitles. You may take a look and update subs filters. I can't suggest exactly where to look, 'cause I don't know what player you're using.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I have tried a couple: VLC; QT4; and WMP. I tend to like VLC the best, but if you are more comfortable with another I am all ears as to how to set it up correctly.

I guess that I did not (correction: do not) understand what "direct render to video" means. I honestly thought that it meant modify the video stream to include the subtitles.

Thanks again!

gjoyce3

Comment

Direct Render to Video means that the image of the subtitles is actually "burnt" into the video images and cannot be turned off.

External subtitles means that the subtitles are stored in external file(s)
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

If GregiBoy is correct (and I understand him correctly), and selecting "direct render to video" results in the subtitles being incorporated into the actual MPEG frames (as opposed to a separate stream of data within the file), then I doubt that this is a player issue.

What am I missing here?

gjoyce3

Comment

Have you tried another movie & does the same problem occur there? What about playing the original disk?

Ones that I specifically remember are The Davinci Code where latin is spoken and one of the Bourne series wher Russion is spoken and have never had a problem.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

As a test, I would extract the subs for this movie to an external file and then play it with VLC and see the result.

When opening the MKV file with VLC, you can specify the externall sub file. You would also then be able to inspect the subs with subtitle editor software to see if the timing is correct or not.

Comment

I actually started a rip to MKV with external subs before I left for work- so I will be able to try this when I get home. I would note that playing from the iso into the preview window of DVDFab works as expected - the subtitles are wiped after display. I have not played the iso though anything else - I will try at least PDVD10 tonight.

I do not recall having this problem before, but I cannot think of a movie with subtitles. I will have to grab one out of my collection and give it a go.

Thanks for your help!

gjoyce3

Comment

Hi gjoyce3,

If you want to turn off subtitle when playing, you need use external subtitle (idx/sub).

For MKV, you can have external subtitle, but for iPad, you have to render the subtitle to video, or have no subtitle.

Best Regards,
                  Fengtao
                  DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
                  http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

fengtao:

Quite the opposite - I want them on when the foreign language is being spoken. They are just not displaying correctly. They do not erase themselves - only a new set of subtitles will cause the old ones to stop displaying. They are persistent, sticky or whatever term you desire. In this particular movie - A Bridge Too Far, the same text can be on the screen for 30 minutes or more until we return to the German side of the battle. It is quite annoying. I am trying to figure out if it is me, the player, DVDFAB or the movie. I think that we are down to DVDFAB or the movie.

gjoyce3

Comment

Are you working from the DVD or Blu-ray?

..EDIT// Never mind, I see it is BD. I have the DVD of this but not the BD, no way to test.
                      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                      X