X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interlacing Issues + Subtitles

Hi all.

Been using DVDFab for a long time now and I've decided to start moving some of my ISOs over to XVID (to save space) using the "File to Mobile" functionality.

I'm using the generic avi with xvid.mp3 profile at pretty much maximum frame resolution (auto trimmed for black borders) with around 0.200 bits/pixel.

99% of the time, there are no problems at all, however there do seem to be a couple of exceptions:

1. Interlacing on Older TV Series

For example, old Doctor Who DVDs, early West Wing series, Babylon 5 etc - I get massive interlacing issues (that nasty 'mouse teeth' effect when there's any movement). There doesn't seem to be anyway to adjust the interlacing method in DVDFab, or is this just me? Is there some workaround / conversion I can use?

2. Subtitles on Foreign Language Films

Using the same profile, I'm trying to use the "Direct Render to Video" option, but the subtitles never seem to come out. Again, it could just be me being dense. Could someone please point out where I'm going wrong or suggest a workaround?

Thanks guys. Great product.

According to the profile documentation in the Profiles\Readme directory you can adjust in the profile. Don't forget to back up the original or make the interlace one another profile.

deinterlace mode - specify video deinterlace mode,
    support value = "0" - auto decide deinterlace or not,
    "1" - force deinterlace
    "2" - not deinterlace

I've never tried this but modify your profile and give it a go.

On the subtitles, I just tested this with the Da Vinci code, Version 6.1.0.5 and it works fine for me.

Obviously make sure that you are selecting the subtitles that you want in the bottom right hand pane of the Fab window.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

There is a deinterlace method argument also, but I'm not sure if it is currently supported. The syntax would be:

deinterlace mode="1" method="0" to force deinterlace with method 0.

(blend, bob, weave/0,1,2 ?? ) This is an undocumented and not officially supported feature.

The display of translation subtitles in "foreign" films is done several different ways, some of which do not actually involve forced subs. Sometimes you have to experiment with different settings and subpic stream choices to find something that works. If you have a lot of these to do, install the free and excellent DVDSubEdit (google it). It can be a useful tool.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll give it a try.

Comment

Hi guys.

Just a quick update and using the above suggestions, I have managed to resolve my interlacing issues.

Having run a number of options using West Wing series 1, Babylon 5 series 2 and an old Tom Baker Doctor Who DVD (i.e. both US and UK TV formats), the best results came from using Deinterlace Mode 1 and setting Method to 1 as well.

If anyone else is encountering the same issues, it's easy to create a new profile:

1. Copy / paste the existing "generic.avi.xvid.mp3.xml" file from the Profiles directory of DVDFab.

2. Re-name the pasted file "generic.avi.xvid.mp3.OldTV.xml".

3. Open the new file using Word or some other editing application.

4. On the 1st line, edit the profile name to match the file name (minus the .xml naturally).

5. Insert a new line between the <video> line and the <size list="" /> line.

6. In the new line, insert the following text:
          <deinterlace mode="1" method="1"/>

7. Save your file (making sure your text editor saves it as an .xml file).

The next time you run DVDFab, you'll see your new OldTV profile in the appropriate drop-down box.

Thanks guys for all your help. Now I can start crunching down a ton of old ISOs.

Comment

Thanks for posting the results, I'm sure it will be helpful for others.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hi Shiny,

It's good that you got it resolved.

Perhaps you might write this up for the "Guides" section.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
              X