Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVDfab reports smaller file size than explorer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper DVDfab reports smaller file size than explorer?

DVDfab reports smaller file size than explorer?

is this correct? i need to know to fit on 2x CDs
    Last edited by ollie; 07-05-2010, 01:23 PM.

Smaller file size of what? Details from the Help Us Help You sticky thread would be helpful.

Comment

oh come on......when i burn to CDs, i look at the file size of video being encoded by dvdfab, does it include the combined output filesize? audio + video or just video?

Comment

I wasn't aware that DVDFab burned CDs. You learn something every day.

Comment

Normally it reports combined. Try changing the audio type or encoding bitrate and see if it changes (it does for the profiles I use). The sizes in DVDFab are estimates, but usually correct within 2-3% for one-pass. Check a file with MediaInfo, see what it reports. Moving your thread to DVD to Mobile, use the most targeted one in the future.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Ahh... sorry, now I get it. I was thinking he was looking at the source file(s) in explorer and then in DVDFab. He was talking about the estimated output size vs. the actual.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
              Normally it reports combined. Try changing the audio type or encoding bitrate and see if it changes (it does for the profiles I use). The sizes in DVDFab are estimates, but usually correct within 2-3% for one-pass. Check a file with MediaInfo, see what it reports. Moving your thread to DVD to Mobile, use the most targeted one in the future.
              omfg lol, someone is with the program at last hahaha

It looks to be out by 100Mb......

1. does dvdfab calculate MByte, rather than Mbit?

2. does explorer calculate MByte , rather than Mbit?

3. does a CD hold 650 MB or Mb?
              Last edited by ollie; 07-05-2010, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Ollie, we are not mind readers. I had to guess what you were asking.

MB=megabytes, which DVDFab and windows both use depending on file size.

a CD is around 700 MB.

If the file is just a little too large to fit on a CD, you can slightly reduce the video or audio bitrate, or the frame rate or the frame size to make it fit. DVDFab will recalculate the output size as you make these changes so you can see the effect.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

yeah but i need to be sure or else i have to reencode 2hr per 2-pass

Comment

im using teracopy pro as a transfer mechanism bypassing windows, but this too under-values the filesize?

Anyone know whats going on?

Comment

Ollie,

Are you just slightly off, or is it large amounts? If it is a slight amount, it could just come back to the old 1 kilobyte is actually equal to 1024 bytes, not 1000 bytes, so you slowly lose space over large amounts of data...

Just a thought.

Comment

yeah thats what i a thinking.....its about 100mb for ~2GB

ie. dvdfab says 1920mb but it ends up ~2.06 gb

so its aboout 5% error from dvdfab

Comment

Working...
                        X