This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Loosing subtitles

Hi, I'm sure this has been covered before and I've had a look around and a read of quite a few threads and posts.

The problem i've got is when converting a dvd to an avi file I loose the subtitles, there are a couple of films I've tried one being Red Dawn and the other Angels to demons. in both films there is a small amount of subtitles that come up automaticlly for angels to demons it's near the start and in french and red dawn a bit of spanish and russian.

When I convert them I can't get it to come up on the film. I've had a read of some posts and have found that I need to keep the idx file and can switch the subtitles on, when I do that I get all the subtitles. Is there any way of just getting the bits that I need and not the rest.

If I take all the subpicture languages off and tick display only forced subpicture the same thing happens.

I don't have the option to do a direct render to video although I'm sure I managed that on another film.

I recently did Avatar and didn't change any settings but got all the subtitles of the nabeen language.

I have also read this post by GregiBoy
    I changed my settings to what is written down but still can't get the subs up.

Any help would be great.

leave all subtitle checked and as well check display only forced subtitles as if I remember correctly that is what will work but have not done a mobile conversion for sometime now to actually remember what works

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
      leave all subtitle checked and as well check display only forced subtitles as if I remember correctly that is what will work but have not done a mobile conversion for sometime now to actually remember what works
      If I leave all the subtitles checked I don't get the option to check the display only forced subtitles. The only way I can check it, is to uncheck all but one of the languages.

Comment

OK I just checked with Angels & Demons and you correct try removing the french subtitles for Angels & Demons and select Display only forced subtitles. Then in the edit section for subpicture select direct render to video to see if that works. I not have Red Dawn so not able to say anything for that and since Avatar worked no point in saying anything for that title
        Last edited by AGJ; 07-19-2010, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I've got angels and demons in at the moment.

in the top right box I've got 2 choices under audio and they're both english. in subpicture I have 3 options 2 english and hindi.

If i uncheck all the subpicture check boxes and check display only forced subpicture I can't select anything in conversion settings as it says theres no subpicture.

If I check either english in subpicture and either leave the d o f s checked or unchecked i get the direct render but that is for all the subtitles and not just the translation of the speech thats not english.

Comment

well since you have hindi as subpicture option what region DVD from? That an important part to know for trouble shooting as my DVD is a region 1 DVD

Comment

Sorry, it's a region 2 dvd.

Comment

OK leave only one subtitle and then check display only forced subs. Then once that checked uncheck the last remaining subtitle then give that a try. You not have to do the entire movie just enough to see if you get what is needed

Comment

I'll give that a go, thanks for your help.

Comment

sure I'm trying my Angels & Demons now to see if it works as well

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                      OK leave only one subtitle and then check display only forced subs. Then once that checked uncheck the last remaining subtitle then give that a try. You not have to do the entire movie just enough to see if you get what is needed
                      I unchecked 2 of the subtitles checked d o f s and then unchecked the last option did a one pass conversion it came out the same as the first time I did it.

Bar trying every combination of checking and unchecking I'm not sure I'm going to get this to work.

I just can't see how Avatar worked and none of the others I've tried do.

Comment

Only other thing I can suggest is to rip main movie to hard drive with Display only forced subs checked. Then watch that to see if they are on the HDD file. If they are then try the mobile conversion as it is better to rip to HDD first when you do the mobile conversions.

I am as well not able to get them doing the straight from DVD to avi but going to try what I just suggested but will be heading to bed now for a few hours sleep so will post when I have finished later this evening

Comment

I ripped the dvd to the hdd and checked it I get the film in about 6 bits but with no embedded subtitles. I can toggle them on and off but get the whole lot again.

I think I'll have to just toggle them on when I need them and then switch them off when finished. I'll just have to remember to copy all 3 files accross when moving them from place to place.

Comment

Same issue

I have the same subtitle issue. DVD region 1 DVD to mobile (avi) option. I unselect everything but english then select forced subtitles. It doesn't give any subtitles then if I uncheck english and recheck english with forced subtitles still checked it gives me all subtitles. Are there any other suggestions. The movies I have tried are District 9 and Star Wars.

Comment

It works fine for District 9, I just tried it. You must select only one English subpicture stream, the top one on the list, then check "Display only forced..." and select "Direct Render to Video" on the Edit page before you click Start. I used the Generic AVI h264+audiocopy profile for the test, DVDFab v7.0.8.6.
                              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                              X