This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Colons wreak havok

If you enter a filename and title that contains a colon (":") then dvdfab will not properly create an output file.

I discovered this while trying to create a mkv file. I used the title and name "Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief". DVDFab ran without giving any errors. The file that was created was named "Percy Jackson & the Olympians". There was no file extension and the file was 0kb.

Rerunning the conversion without the colon worked as expected.

This is not a Fab problem. It is the operating system.

The ":" is not allowed in any Windoze filename.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

None of the following characters are allowed in a file name / ? < > \ : * | ” also any character that can be typed using the Ctrl key. If using the FAT32 file system, like the PS3, you can’t use “^” the caret.
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
        This is not a Fab problem. It is the operating system.

The ":" is not allowed in any Windoze filename.
        I think it is both an OS and a DVDFab problem. DVDFab should filter out any illegal characters or give an error as soon as it is unable to create the designated filename.

Comment

It is not really a bug, so I have removed that description from your thread title. Avoiding these characters is second nature if you have been using windows (or DOS) for very long. You should post it in the Feature Request sub-forum if you'd like to see it in DVDFab. ImgBurn does something similar--it just won't let you type the illegal characters into file/volume name boxes.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
            It is not really a bug, so I have removed that description from your thread title. Avoiding these characters is second nature if you have been using windows (or DOS) for very long. You should post it in the Feature Request sub-forum if you'd like to see it in DVDFab. ImgBurn does something similar--it just won't let you type the illegal characters into file/volume name boxes.
            Fair enough -- I have done so. I still think it is a bug though in the same way that an unhandled exception or RTE is a bug.

Comment

Working...
            X