Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vob.passthrough corruption (only happens with DVDFab)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper vob.passthrough corruption (only happens with DVDFab)

I was ripping the UK version of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace using VOB Passthrough to get the original decrypted vob files with DVDFab 7.0.8.2 and I get one very obvious frame of corruption (images attached (goodframe is the frame after the corruption)). It is always exactly the same frame that is corrupt.

I tried ripping the same DVD using LightningUK's DVD Decrypter and encounter no such corrupt frame at that point.

I have tried cleaning the disk and ripping multiple times and I always get the same issue at the same point.

Do you know what could be causing this issue in DVDFab? I don't feel I can rely on DVDFab now as I don't know what other bad frames it is adding to my rips without watching all of them very closely.

If you need any further assistance in replicating the issue, please let me know.

Kind regards,
    NobodyGood
    Attached Files

Well for starters the good frame you posted is not good as well it has corruption also from what I can see. No problems with the Region 1 Canada version of this DVD or the rest of the Star Wars DVDs I have. What we need you to do is read what is listed below and post all info to your next post reply to this thread

by
    signals, Gregiboy and Complication

If you are posting about an operational problem with either the DVD to Mobile or File to Mobile option of DVD Fab, you will improve the speed and accuracy of the response by providing some information in the very first post that will be needed to assist you. Please have a look at the informational links in my signature below before reporting a problem as one of these may solve your problem.

Posts with all the requested information will be answered first.

First, make note of any error codes or messages that appear in popup boxes and put them in your post. Information on error codes that appear in the DVDFab UI are captured in one of the logs we request below.

DVDFab keeps logs of its activities that supply basic system information and can help pinpoint where and when an error happened and help pinpoint the cause. The default location for these logs on most Windows systems is:

C:\Documents and Settings\your username\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

The logs are simple text files that can be opened with Windows Notepad. If the size exceeds the forum’s attachment size limit, you may need to delete older entries or copy and paste the relevant ones into a new file.

dvdfab_process.log Attach if DVDFab crashes and the crash report window does not come up or complete correctly or if internal error codes appear in the DVDFab window (“Task Failed…”). Time stamped, most recent at the bottom.

dvdfab_internal.log Attach for all problems. Time stamped, most recent at the bottom. Please edit to include only the most recent or relevant log session.

Make sure that you are using good procedures. Recommendations can be found here.

This Information Is Required!!!

The DVDFab version number. We suggest that you make sure that you are least using the latest Official Release which can be found here and recommend that you also try the latest Beta Version which can be found here.

The nature of the problem.
    The EXACT profile you used and any parameters within it that you may have changed.
    If using a custom profile, please attach it to your post.
    Whether this happens with all titles or just one.
    Your operating system/CPU/memory configuration.
    If you have made any recent changes to your OS or system hardware
    If you have other DVD or BD software installed, particularly if recently added.

For File to Mobile, this additional information will speed resolution of the problem:

SOURCE FILE TYPE:
    SOURCE VIDEO TYPE:
    SOURCE VIDEO RESOLUTION:
    SOURCE AUDIO TYPE:
    DVDFab VERSION:
    DVDFab PROFILE:
    OUTPUT RESOLUTION:
    OUTPUT CROP:
    OUTPUT BITRATE:
    OUTPUT PASSES:

Examples:
    SOURCE FILE TYPE: MKV, AVI, VOB, etc
    SOURCE VIDEO TYPE: H264, XVID, DIVX, MPEG
    SOURCE VIDEO RESOLUTION: 1080p, 480i, 720x480, etc.
    SOURCE AUDIO TYPE: AC3, MP3, AAC, etc.
    DVDFab VERSION: 6.2.1.0 Beta
    DVDFab PROFILE: generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy
    OUTPUT RESOLUTION: Same as source
    OUTPUT CROP: Auto
    OUTPUT BITRATE: 1000
    OUTPUT PASSES: 1

You can often use MediaInfo to get details of the source file.

Comment

I am not quite sure what other information I can provide that would be useful. Please find new images from VirtualDub that have been indexed using DGIndexNV so you can see the exact frame number. You are right the "good frame" from last time was also not good, that was more to help you find the part of the film that's corrupt.

Source: Star Wars - The Phantom Menace (LAURA_REG24_UKAUS_DISC1_P is disk volume name)
      DVDFab VERSION: 7.0.8.2
      DVDFab PROFILE: vob.passthrough (only change is splitting at 4gb, but already tested that that doesn't make a difference)
      Computer: Windows 7 (32 bit), copying to NTFS C: drive, Intel Core Duo 2, Samsung SH-B083L drive, 4gb RAM.

Couldn't find any relevant logfiles, I will re-rip and post them.

There are no errors, warnings, etc. I will keep testing to try and workaround it - as I really like DVDFab but will need to stop using it if it can't even do a vob copy without causing corrupt files.

Please let me know if you require anything further to investigate.

Many thanks,
      NobodyGood

EDIT: Log attached
      Attached Files
      Last edited by NobodyGood; 07-30-2010, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Are you doing the VOB passthrough straight from the original DVD? If that is correct then you should try ripping the DVD using Main movie and save to hard drive as if I remember correctly VOB Passthrough only does main movie. Then with the saved file on hard drive you use that as the source to create your VOB using the VOB passthrough

Comment

You mean do DVD->DVD Main Movie and then try a DVD->Mobile vob.passthrough? I will give that a try.

Yes it is the original DVD. I just tried ripping and turning off all the protection removal other than CSS (i.e. turned off path player, Region removal, etc). It didn't help - same bad frame.

Then I tried loading and enabling AnyDVD so it could do the decryption part and DVDFab just do the ripping of the, now unprotected, files. That worked and the file did not have the corruption.

Makes me think there's some sort of error in the DVD decryption code or similar...

NobodyGood

EDIT: Interesting: I did a DVD -> DVD Main Movie copy and the VOBs on the HD didn't show any error? Not sure why that would work and vob.passthrough would cause corruption. Strange bug.
          EDIT: Latest Beta doesn't fix the bug.....
          Last edited by NobodyGood; 07-30-2010, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Just tried a DVD -> Mobile encode using AVI (generic.avi.divx.audiocopy). I get the corruption at the same frame (50571). So, it's not just vob.passthrough, I would hazard that all DVD -> Mobile can cause this minor frame corruption.

Comment

I have this DVD and can give a try again but mine is NTSC and Not PAL and mine is region 1 and not region 2 like your DVD so results could be different. Once I'm done I will post back if I not forget

Comment

Any luck with finding this bug AGJ? It seems a pretty big bug to me that DVDFab isn't copying all DVDs without possibly creating corruption in Mobile mode......still isn't fixed in 7.5.0.6 beta.

Might be worth getting it:

To find this bug - because I can't believe it's only caused by this DVD and I wonder how many rips are getting the odd cr*p frame that no one's really noticing.

Having AnyDVD running in the background works around it - but that's not ideal.

NobodyGood

Comment

Please try DVDFab Passkey instead of the other software. Passkey is free.
                  Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                  Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by NobodyGood View Post
                    Any luck with finding this bug AGJ? It seems a pretty big bug to me that DVDFab isn't copying all DVDs without possibly creating corruption in Mobile mode......still isn't fixed in 7.5.0.6 beta.
                    Sorry forgot all about this but I have the region 1 NTSC Canada version on my computer desk now so I not forget. I will test this out soon when I finish the rest of the DVDs I have on my desk

Comment

Working...
                    X