This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

synch issues with chapter select

I have ripped a few complete titles using xvid + audio passthorugh & they are fine, but yesterday I ripped a title from an obscure music lesson dvd & began the rip at chapter 3 of the title, rather than chapter 1.
    this rip is slightly out of synch.
    my rip settings, apart from chapter select, were no different to before - xvid - 2 pass 1200 bit rate, screen resolution to match source.

are there any known issues with audio sync when ripping only part of a title or is this more likely to have been a one-off

dvdfab version 6.0.7.0

PS I did quickly serach forum for sync. One of my competitor products has a tcik box called AV snyc and what I think that does it force a resynch every few seconds. no such feture in DVDFAB ?

Have you tried one of the audio compressor formats like xvid+MP3? I have seen other reports like this with similar DVDs--guitar lessons, fishing videos and other content that may not have standard authoring. What player software are you using? Try VLC if you haven't, plays with very few sync problems.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

i could use xvid+mp3 , but because it is music I want to use audio-passthrough if possible. that way there is no alteration or downgrade of the all-important audio stream. I think I was testign in VLC - that & Zoom are my preferred players, for ease of small forward backward jumps.

it's not a big deal for one file, I just wondered what the state of play withknown sync issues was nowadays, rather than read a years worth of forum :-)

Comment

Sync is one issue where reading back posts is not really helpful because Ting has made so many improvements over the years. Don't the newer versions of VLC have some sort of A/V sync adjustment?
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
          Sync is one issue where reading back posts is not really helpful because Ting has made so many improvements over the years. Don't the newer versions of VLC have some sort of A/V sync adjustment?
          1. yes, that whay I wondered if there was a list of still-unresolved issues i.e. settings to avoid ? I seem to remember something from ages ago about issues with starting part way through a title. Much of my music instruction stuff was originally on VHS - then they were released on DVd with some arbitrary chopping up into titles and/or chapters, but no great imporvement in video or sound quality. Audio is usually just AC3 - 2 channel, or LPCM stereo.
          some are PAL, some are NTSC imports as they were never re-released in the UK.

I can usually get a good rip eventually from at least one of my options - DVDab or competitors, I have never found a single program + setting that is perfect for all DVDs, whether 4:3 or 16:9. either I get sync issues, or rip volume is too loud ( audio normalisation is broken in version 5 of one competitor product), or I get unwanted black bars or aspect ratio hassles.

2. yes, VLC is excellent for fixing audio snyc as you can move the audio stream forward or back in 50millisec increments. I have 2 remote control buttons set up for that so I can just nudge a track back into sync if needs be. I think the keyboard controls are J & K

Comment

As signals alluded to above, a large percentage of the low pressing volume dvds such as instructional and special interest DVDs suffer from less than ordinary authoring and always seem to have sync problems.

Even some concert DVD's have this problem and I cannot remember how may I have had to actually re-author to correct this problem.

You would think AC/DC should be able to get it right !!!!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
            X