This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Sizing "Issues"

I am not sure what I am doing wrong - since I am new to the whole process of transfering a DVD to a file on my hard drive.

I have tried several container methods (AVI, MKVMPEG4, VOB, etc.) and have used the default sizing (720 x 402 0r 420 ... or something like that) based on other posts that went into the whole math of 1:8:1 ,etc. but my file when streamed across my netwrok (wired) comes out 50-60% smaller then the screen size.

I have tried on two different DVDs (The Incredibles and Bee Movie) and the results are the same.

What am I doing wrong? There is no larger choices. Will creating a custom 1920 x 1080 choice resolve this or it is in the set file size of 3 - 4 GB that I set for the file?

Thanks

It may be your player or display settings, which you do not mention. Normally one or the other (usually the display device) would take the 7xxXwhatever size content you send it and upscale or zoom it to fill the screen, based on your settings. It is inefficient to try to upscale content during a DVDFab conversion, all the files will be larger and the conversions will take longer. Your display device should be able to do this on-the-fly.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Yah sorry I realized that after I hit submit.

Not sure exactly which aspect you are looking for so:

1) I am streaming to a PS3 (with latest firmware)

2) Using a Samsung LN630

The PS3 should be able to handle it, so I figure is has to be something in the way I am encoding the files. When I look at the info located in video effect settings always seems to have the source zoom and output zoom at about 40 -60%. Is this the cause?

I have even tries the PS3 vob passthrough - which still has the outut image on the screen way smaller then the original DVD.

Comment

Just to make sure, your PS3 output is NOT set as "original" (it should be set to standard).

I also wonder if these titles are letterboxed.

Comment

you know i don't remember about the letterboxing - if i recall correctly in the video preview and video settings section Bee Movie did not but I think The Incredibles did.

As for the PS3 output - is that on the PS3 on within DVDfab?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

The output setting I was talking about was on the PS3.

Comment

Complication

As i thought Bee Movie did not have Letterboxing and The Incredible did.

As for the PS3 bit, I could not figure out exactly the setting your were referring to. when I go to the settings section I have two logical spots I can go to:

1) Video and 2) Display.

Under 1) Video the choices that are close to what you mentioned are:

- BD 1080p 24 Hz Out put HDMI (Auto / Off /On)
              - BD /DVD Video Output (Automatic / RBG / YPb /....)
              - BD/DVD Upscale (Off / Double Scale / Normal / Full Screen)
              - Cinema Conversion

Under 2) Display
              - RBG Full Range (HDMI) - (Limited / Full)
              - Video Output - which has you select the connection type and what formats my TV supports (480 / 720 / 1080i / 1080p)

Also do you know how I could figure out from the tool / disc what aspect ration the dvd(s) were composed at?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Mine will do that sometimes, have you tried the green triangle ans selecting "ZOOM" mine seems to want to start in the original frame resolution on a mobile file.
                How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Display settings using the triangle button during playback is what I was talking about. If you have a 1080 screen and playback is set to original then it will be only about half the size of the screen.

Comment

90312 and Complication

Thanks. To be honest with you I had no idea about that (Triangle zoom function) b/c I always use my Logitech remote (with the Logitech conversion device) and never use the x, cricle, square, and triangle fucntions.

i will try it later on today and post the results.

Cheers

Comment

So i gave the triangle a try today and that worked. Thanks for the assistance on resolving that issue for me.

I will now have to move the x, circle, square and triangle up on my remotes meue pages.

A follow up question: what settings on DVD to Mobile have you found work best (in your opinion) for a quality recording that does not chew up loads of space on the HDD that the PS3 likes?

I have it hard wired to my NAS to obtain the files from.

Cheers (and thanks).

Comment

I have the best luck with the PS3 profile, it's an mp4 and, I think, looks a little better than DivX or XviD. Try them all and see what you like best.
                        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                        X