Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) What hardware is needed to encode blu-ray mkv >23.976 FPS

Good day all.

When I convert my blu-ray movies to mkv, my system can only encode at around 8-10fps, so take 4-5hours.

I am using a Intel Quad-Core Q6600 running at stock 2.4Ghz.

What sort of hardware would I need to be able to encode the videos at or faster then real-time (>23.976 FPS).

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

Originally posted by Mad Professor View Post
    Good day all.

When I convert my blu-ray movies to mkv, my system can only encode at around 8-10fps, so take 4-5hours.

I am using a Intel Quad-Core Q6600 running at stock 2.4Ghz.

What sort of hardware would I need to be able to encode the videos at or faster then real-time (>23.976 FPS).

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.
    All you probably need is a mid-grade good CUDA-enabled videocard. I would suggest nVIDIA 250-295 range. Manufacturer is your personal preference, mine is MSI. Your processor is powerful enough to maintain and manage parallel processing (GPU acceleration). I also would recommend to have at least 6 GB memory...
    I have one of the earliest i7's and GTX 295 card and it gives me around 50 fps in average. Your system with CUDA card should produce in neighborhood 35-40 fps, which will give you around 1 hr in average per movie.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Ah so the GPU is ment to take most of the load while encoding.

Here are more of my systems details.

Motherboard: XFX 680i SLi.
      Processor: Intel Quad-Core Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz.
      Memory: 2x1GB Corsair (CM2X1024-6400C4).
      Pri HDD: Seagate 250GB SATA (ST3200827AS).
      Sec HDD: Seagate 500GB SATA (ST3500320AS).
      Media HDD: WDC 1.5TB SATA (WD15EARS-00Z5B1).
      Video Card: XFX nvidia GeForce 9600 GSO 384MB.

I was looking at upgrading the video card soon anyways, I have been looking at the new nvidia GeForce 460 series cards.

Comment

I get better speed on mine setting the decoding to CUDA and the encoding to software, but this varies with the original content. See what your drive's read speed is. Mine reads BDs at about 7 MB/s which is fast enough to encode BD->MKV at around 40fps, like Ipopov's. This is on a notebook with i7-820Q and low end GTS-230M video card. I also suggest more RAM. If you want DVD-like processing speeds, consider a mobo that supports DDR3 and lots of cooling.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Ah so the GPU is ment to take most of the load while encoding.

Here are more of my systems details.

Motherboard: XFX 680i SLi.
          Processor: Intel Quad-Core Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz.
          Memory: 2x1GB Corsair (CM2X1024-6400C4).
          Pri HDD: Seagate 250GB SATA (ST3200827AS).
          Sec HDD: Seagate 500GB SATA (ST3500320AS).
          Media HDD: WDC 1.5TB SATA (WD15EARS-00Z5B1).
          Video Card: XFX nvidia GeForce 9600 GSO 384MB.

I was looking at upgrading the video card soon anyways, I have been looking at the new nvidia GeForce 460 series cards.
          Well, I'm not sure why would you want to spend so much money on top of the line card, when mid-grade card will do the job and much cheaper.... What you desperately need is increase size of memory - 2 GB RAM is not nearly enough. Everything else is in good order.
          However, if you want to go crazy - build new machine with newest i7 processor, latest GTX480 card, 12 GB memory and fast 15000RPM harddrives. This will give you a modest speed increase (comparing to my suggestion in previous post)
          sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

I would love to upgrade to an i7, but that is just not going to happen, I don't have that kind of spare cash floating around.

I would not say £170.00 for a 1GB 460 is to bad in price, my 9600GSO cost more then when I brought new when it 1st came out.

Just looking on the same site as the video card, They have 2x2GB for £70, any bigger and the price jump is just silly.

Comment

Just looking on the same site as the video card, They have 2x2GB for £70, any bigger and the price jump is just silly.
              Save your money on card and buy RAM. Buy 3x 2 GB
              sigpic

Comment

If you really want speed, go with SSDs instead of HDDs and that GTX460. I would buy at least a 120gb SSD for a Windows boot drive though.
                SPECS
                DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
                SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

ya i have a sapphire radeon hd 4850 and am thinking of upgrading to MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card which is $230 on newegg.com they also have the 768mb model for $200 thats a decent 460 card

Comment

Working...
                  X