X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Forced Subtitles Problem

Hi guys,

I've had Blu-ray to Blu-ray for about 6 months and I was thinking of buying the blu-ray ripper for ease of creating MKVs for playback on my WDTV Live.

However, as I have been trying the blu-ray ripper out I noticed that the program does not reliably pick out forced subtitles in some cases such as Gran Torino or the Godfather. In these cases, you would have to know which track it is to pick the right one as the forced subs are located in a separate subtitle track. They are not forced subs embedded in a complete english language track.

Am I missing a setting or this a limitation noticed by others too?

If it is a limitation, perhaps the FAB team could do something like adding a check which would identify subtitles that are say 5 - 10% the size of the main subtitle track, this could be a dead giveaway that they are forced subs on a separate track. Another option would be to create a function allowing just subs to be ripped in sup format so we could view them in a program like Suprip to identify which track contains the forced subtitles rather than doing things by trial and error.

Anyway, my trial period runs out tomorrow so I'm trying to figure out if this works before committing to a purchase.

Thanks for any assistance you guys can provide.
    Last edited by EVT; 08-27-2010, 03:22 PM. Reason: Additional information

Originally posted by EVT View Post
    Am I missing a setting or this a limitation noticed by others too?

...so we could view them in a program like Suprip to identify which track contains the forced subtitles rather than doing things by trial and error.
    If you would open Common Settings window after loading your content, you will find complete content info under "Info" header. Scroll it down to Text tracks and see which one is forced subs. Go back to main window, select that track, check "Forced Only" below, and make sure "Render into video" selected on "Edit" page... very simple
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

You can also use the DVDFab Preview window to change subs while the movie is playing to see which is which. Fab does not automatically pick out the forced subs. This would be a nice feature but would require much additional scan/analyze time while opening the disc. Maybe as a user option for use on some discs.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
        If you would open Common Settings window after loading your content, you will find complete content info under "Info" header. Scroll it down to Text tracks and see which one is forced subs. Go back to main window, select that track, check "Forced Only" below, and make sure "Render into video" selected on "Edit" page... very simple
        That sounds good, I didn't realize that. The only remaining issue then is that in the case of some movies it still won't show up forced subtitles because they are on a separate track (e.g. Gran Torino). There's no distinguishing characteristic. At least that's my understanding.

Still this is a good start. Too bad you can't open the and look to see what's in the subtitle track. It would be worth doing it if you ask me. In my case I may rip something and then not watch it for 6 months, it would be a real PITA to find out at that point that I had screwed up the rip.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
          You can also use the DVDFab Preview window to change subs while the movie is playing to see which is which. Fab does not automatically pick out the forced subs. This would be a nice feature but would require much additional scan/analyze time while opening the disc. Maybe as a user option for use on some discs.
          The problem with looking at the Preview to determine this is you have to be really familiar with a movie. In my case I have a relatively large blu-ray collection and to be honest there are many in my collection that I haven't even seen so short of watching a substantial portion of the film for each rip this wouldn't really help.

I think your suggestion for a user selectable scan would be a welcome addition.

To get around this issue, until now I've been using fab blu-ray copy to rip to a BD folder structure, then I would use a combination of free programs to demux just the subtitle tracks, view them to find out if there were any forced subtitles or separate tracks with english subtitles. Then if I found that there was I would then demux only the forced track along with the audio and video and remux all of them into a new standalone M2TS file or blu-ray file structure. However, overall, this is a tedious manual process and I would like to avoid it. Paying a reasonable cost for this blu-ray ripper seems worth it if I can avoid this but I'm not sure if I will be able to avoid it in all cases.

The big advantage of the DVD Fab blu-ray ripper is that it has the option to hard code the subtitles into the video, most media players don't honor forced flags in MKV's including my WDTV Live as well as many other far more expensive players.

Comment

That sounds good, I didn't realize that. The only remaining issue then is that in the case of some movies it still won't show up forced subtitles because they are on a separate track (e.g. Gran Torino). There's no distinguishing characteristic. At least that's my understanding.
            This is not exactly correct, but as u said - it's a good start and soon enough u will see what I'm talking about...
            sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
              I think I must be doing something wrong because when I click the green checkmark to enter common settings and I open the info tab the following is all I get:

Info for drive [L:\] (DVDFab 8.0.0.5)
              Drive region: Not set

Disc type: Blu-ray disc
              Volume name: GODFATHER_PART1

AACS (Advanced Access Content System) protection is removed!
              AACS MKB version: 7
              BD+ protection is not found.

Am I missing a step?

Thanks again btw, for the assistance.

Comment

OK, try this. Go here and download this player: http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/downlo...lassic-hc.html
                Open your DVD with this player and get all info there.
                sigpic

Comment

Info for drive [L:\] (DVDFab 8.0.0.5)
                  Drive region: Not set
                  You need to set the region of the Blu-ray/DVD drive you are using as when not set can cause problems as well

Comment

Working...
                  X