This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Forced Subpicture Doesn't Work For Me

I'm trying to RIP AVATAR from DVD to WMV (for a Zune 2 80GB device). In the process I've observed some heavy pixelization at 800 Kbps bitrates and lower... in another thread I heard of others increasing the bitrate to try and correct this and I've done the same with decent results (2048 kbps).

One problem I see still, however, which I don't recall seeing in earlier versions of DVDFab is around subpictures. For AVATAR, The DaVinci Code, and Angels and Demons, I want Forced subpictures to show (only).

I've selected "[x] Display only Forced subpicture" and the result is a WMV with subpictures ALWAYS displayed (which is better than not having them at all). Still, I'd like to only see "English" subpictures displayed when the actors dip into French, Italian, Latin, etc...

What am I missing? Is anyone else observing this behavior? I should mention I've tried the following... changing the codecs to software for everything, trying single-pass vs. 2 passes with the same end results.

DVDFab 8.0.0.5 (2010/08/28 14:22:31)

0m 00.39s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 bd2mobile 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
    0m 01.40s: detected dvd
    0m 01.45s: drive F
    0m 01.45s: dvd type 1
    0m 01.45s: volume label AVATAR
    0m 01.51s: got copyright 1 fe
    0m 02.02s: got udf/iso
    0m 02.87s: got discinfo
    0m 02.87s: pathplayer enabled
    0m 25.75s: got dvdinfo
    2m 47.43s:

------ begin mobile work(1/1) ------

2m 47.43s: create config(0)
    2m 47.43s: convert profile(zune.default)
    2m 47.98s: dvd title(1) angle(0) chapter(1->36)
    2m 47.98s: stream(480,2,1) stream(128,86019,1) stream(32,94208,4)
    2m 47.98s: subpicture preset(1), mode(0)
    2m 51.18s: subpicture(32) mode(0)
    2m 51.18s: connect to sub render filter
    15m 35.11s: subpicture(32) mode(0)
    15m 35.11s: connect to sub render filter
    68m 19.70s:

------ finish mobile work ------

2010-08-28 15:31:49 ---- ******************** Log session stop 28-Aug 15:31:49.688 PID 7012********************
    2010-08-28 14:22:31 Info Current Drive selected : 0:3:0 - PLEXTOR DVDR PX-880SA 1.12 [F] (Ide)
    2010-08-28 14:22:31 Info Using Advanced SPTI interface
    2010-08-28 14:22:31 Info System default language : English (United States)
    2010-08-28 14:22:31 Info User default language : English (United States)
    2010-08-28 14:22:31 Info DLL Version : 4.0.11.473
    2010-08-28 14:22:31 Info DLL : C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab 8\vso_hwe.dll
    2010-08-28 14:22:31 Info Version : 8, 0, 0, 5
    2010-08-28 14:22:31 Info ExeName : C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab 8\DVDFab.exe
    2010-08-28 14:22:31 Info OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (Build 7600)
    2010-08-28 14:22:31 ---- ******************** Log session start 28-Aug 14:22:31.410 PID 7012********************
    Attached Files

Originally posted by GrayWinst View Post
    What am I missing? Is anyone else observing this behavior? I should mention I've tried the following... changing the codecs to software for everything, trying single-pass vs. 2 passes with the same end results.
    (a) please avoid use of "default" preset. Load with suitable profile and enter parameters in "edit" page
    (b) use 1-pass only
    (c) make sure you didn't set "default" flag on subtitles when select them
    (d) set decoder for DXVA (if supported) or Software.
    Try again and report here please.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Can you elaborate on this point?

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
      (c) make sure you didn't set "default" flag on subtitles when select them
      I'm not sure what a "default" flag on the subtitles would be...

I'm trying the DVD Rip again using your suggestions...
      * I chose the zune.wmv profile
      * I clicked on [x] Display only forced subpicture
      * I clicked on <EDIT> and selected a higher frame resolution (which results in abou 1373 kbps fixed bitrate -- hopefully high enough to avoid pixelation artifacts)

Comment

Originally posted by GrayWinst View Post
        Can you elaborate on this point?
        I'm not sure what a "default" flag on the subtitles would be...
        When you are selecting audio or subtitle stream, and you click immediately on left from check box, little blue triangle will appear, and if you click again, it will disappear. That's a "default flag". By setting a default flag you are setting this stream as default, which means this particular stream will play when you click "Play" button. In case of subtitles, if you set "default flag" they will show by default and you have to turn them off.
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Also, if you just wish to just have the Navi english translations present in your WMV, all DVD versions that I have seen of this movie have them already hard coded in the video.

From memory, Signals also found that the US release was the same.

If that is the case, you just deselect all subtitles.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

GregiBoy's memory is correct, they are burned into the video in the R1 DVD, so you can uncheck all subpicture selection boxes.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the hint about Avatar... I removed all subpics, and you're right... there are subtitles in the video itself.

I am still having this problem for The DaVinci Code, however... I'm doing the following:
              * I switch the profile to zune.wmv (from zune.default)
              * I check the box for "Display only forced subpicture"
              * I have the English language Subpicture stream selected, but I don't have it set as a default (not that I can tell)

I attached a picture to illustrate my configuration... I've even tried this without clicking on the <Edit> button after selecting zune.wmv, and it still produces a video with subtitles all the time.

If I uncheck the English language subpicture stream, but leave the "Display only forced subpicture" then it doesn't produce any subtitles, even for the forced ones (which seems to match the documentation).

Any other ideas, or am I misunderstanding something basic? Thanks for all your help!!!!
              Attached Files

Comment

This feature ("Display only forced...") has not worked for me in any V8 release or the betas just before it. The developers have been notified and I assume it is being corrected. You are not doing anything wrong. The sypmtom is exactly what you describe, all subtitles appear.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thank you for the excellent help. Now I can simply relax and wait for this to be fixed and not fret about what I'm doing wrong...

Thanks again to everyone.

Comment

3 Test titles are as you indicated firstly "Da Vinci Code" then "Angels & Demons" & "Avatar" as they are all authored quite differently.
                    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
                    X