Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VOB passthru output files: subtitle files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper VOB passthru output files: subtitle files?

V8 has the option to rip the vob to disc and do nothing else (VOB passthru). This creates a vob, sub, idx.

My question is to do with the sub & idx files. Is either of these the subtitles, as none of players can read these files as subtitles?

I can confirm this and Fab should not be doing this. The subtitles should not be extracted but be incorporated into the video stream just like the DVD. I'd bet this is addressed in a future revision.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Unless VOB Passthrough has changed, it does not include the subpics in the output VOB/MPG stream, just the audio and video.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

DVDFab has always done this. Many players that read from a file share (Windows SMB) can also read the external files. In fact, my Popcorn Hour will read the separate files but will not when they are included in a DIVX container.

It would be nice if DVDFab had the option to include the subtitles in the output file if the file type supported it. I've read that BD Ripper does exactly that for MKV. However, it would also be nice to be able to control it given that some players want external and some want embedded.
        Last edited by Complication; 09-12-2010, 04:53 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

I guess you guys are correct, I just made a passthrough with a different program and the subtitles were not extracted but they don't seem to be embedded either.
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

When DVD Fab use VOB passthrough profile, you can select to extract idx/sub subtitles to use separetely. You can read this subtitle with Media Player classic or VLC player and any media player with VobSub directshow filter.

But there is some problems with this function. Sometimes the subtitle can't be read and need to edit with SubtitleCreator. Usually I changed the colors and save a new idx/sub to resolve.

Supernatural Season 2 (all discs) brazilian version have this problem.

I have been use this feature (vob passthrough) to compress the video to PSP using other software because DVD Fab DVD Ripper is poor on h264 settings and I want to push hard for the best quality. Also the most times DVD Fab can't recognize that the video is telecined to do IVTC.

Comment

Working...
            X