No announcement yet.

External BD Drive as Source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) External BD Drive as Source?

Hi there,

Long time DVDFab user here.

I'm thinking of buying an external USB 2.0 Blu-Ray ROM drive to use with a laptop I have which lacks Blu-Ray.

Could anyone please confirm if DVDFab can use an external USB 2.0 Blu-Ray drive as the SOURCE in order to rip a Blu-Ray movie to a mobile device compatible file?

I've searched the support files and the forum and I can't find an answer. I see plenty of references to using an external drive to WRITE to, but not to READ from.

Thanks in advance.

Yes. I have an old laptop set up that way myself. The problem with BD on some laptops is heat management.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
      Yes. I have an old laptop set up that way myself. The problem with BD on some laptops is heat management.
      Thanks for confirming that signals.

Is it really that much more CPU intensive to rip a BD to a plain ol' standard def MP4 file than it is a regular DVD?

My laptop handles ripping DVD's for mobile viewing just fine without generating excessive heat, so I'm hoping it can do the same with BD's.

Thanks!

Comment

It is not so much being more CPU intensive; an SD DVD will fully load the CPU doing an mp4. It’s the length of time a BD will keep the CPU fully loaded. It takes a lot longer to do a BD and heat will build over time. Get yourself a cooler, I got one with three fans and it makes a world of difference. $20 US, better than getting three fourths done and having your laptop shut down due to overheating.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Hey thanks for the great info and quick replies.

Got an external BD drive on order...

Comment

Working...
          X