Telecine Judder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Telecine Judder

I am having what I believe are telecine judder problems when playing movies ripped by DVDFab using xbmc. The judder occurs on slow pans. I have tried various combinations of settings with no improvement.

I am using DVDFab 7.0.8.2 because 8.x hangs on my test movie. I will experiment with other movies with the latest 8.x beta.

I have a GeForce 9500 GT
    I am running Windows 7-64 bit.
    I am using hardware acceleration for both the encoding and playback (CUDA). I am encoding at 2500 and 3000 fps (no difference). I am using the profile generic.default to create mp4. I have tried the default framerate (29.97) as well as 30, 24 and 23.976 but I have not noticed any difference.

Does DVDFab properly remove extra frames from soft and hard telecined video. Under what conditions? Can it handle the situation when telecined fame varies during the video (3-2 vs 2-3 and top frame first and bottom frame first)?

Have you tried a test run with decode/encode set to software? Do you notice this on all playback devices including your PC?
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Changing to software encode does not improve the situation. I'm experimenting with DScaler. But since DScaler doesn't do VOBs I am having to go through DVDFab to generate an avi first. I am turning of deinterlace to try to give DScaler as close to the original image as possible so as not to confuse the situation further.

Comment

I have noticed this on some playback devices, but not on the same files when played back (e.g. with VLC) on the PC. If the pulldown compensation is not correct I think it should be noticeable in scenes with any movement, not just horizontal pans.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

FYI the scene in question plays flawlessly with my Toshiba DVD player on the same TV (Sony Bravia KDL-46W5100 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080/24p, 120Hz).

Results using DScaler: I was able to see various amounts of judder, but I was never able to get the scene approaching the smoothness of the DVD player.
          Last edited by fbacher; 09-25-2010, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X