X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD to xbox memory and cpu usage

I have a dial core 1gb processor and 3 gig of ram on windows xp pro

Whenever I try to convert a dvd to avi or wmv or use the xbox option (which is what I am usually doing) DVD fab takes up 700+k memory takes up 98% of my cpu power and takes 3+ hours to finish.

Is it that way for everyone?

Is there a way to reduce that, like a setting I can change or something?

The only time I can do it is at night when I go to bed and all my other probrams have to be turned off.

Sometimes I come in and it has been going for 6 hours straight and is stuck at 100% but not finished. When that happens the file won't play or the sound is off. bt that may be a separate issue.

Any ideas guys?

The resource demands of DVD to Mobile, except for the VOB Passthrough mode, are very high. The conversion times you mention are higher than normal for xvid AVI files but may be about normal for WMV+WMA, which runs much slower. If you want more speed, don't multitask while making conversions and check for background processes that may be running and consuming CPU time. Heat and power management are also important for maximum performance with DVD to Mobile. There are some controls in Common Settings (General->GPU acceleration and X to Mobile->Convert) that will impact performance as well. Check them and experiment with different settings to see if you get any improvement.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hello,

New to the forums here. I am having the same issue with DVDFab eating up all of my system resources.

I checked the settings suggested. GPU Acceleration was not only disabled, it was greyed out. For the other settings, I disabled "Turbo CPU", and I set the "Memory Used for Conversion" to Low. I then tried to convert a video file with the following results: My CPU usage is still at 97-100% (the process called "FabCore" averages around 75% CPU usage, and the process "DVDFab" averages around 14.5% CPU usage; all other process are Windows background processes), but the memory usage has dropped dramatically from over 700,000K to 200,000K for DVDFab and about 36,000K for FabCore.

Previously, my laptop (2 Ghz AMD dual-core processor, 3 GB RAM on Vista Home Premium) was over-heating, badly. So far with the new settings, the computer has not over-heated, but I am only at 14% conversion, so we'll wait and see.

NOTES: I am converting an .iso image to .mp4 via DVD to Mobile --> PSP, if that's relavent.

Comment

Yes it is. I think the most demanding profiles are the ones that convert to WMV such as the XBox.

This is because the Windows Media Encoder by Microsoft that is used is nowhere near efficient as the H264 or XVid encoders used.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by Chris001 View Post
          Hello,

New to the forums here. I am having the same issue with DVDFab eating up all of my system resources.

I checked the settings suggested. GPU Acceleration was not only disabled, it was greyed out. For the other settings, I disabled "Turbo CPU", and I set the "Memory Used for Conversion" to Low. I then tried to convert a video file with the following results: My CPU usage is still at 97-100% (the process called "FabCore" averages around 75% CPU usage, and the process "DVDFab" averages around 14.5% CPU usage; all other process are Windows background processes), but the memory usage has dropped dramatically from over 700,000K to 200,000K for DVDFab and about 36,000K for FabCore.

Previously, my laptop (2 Ghz AMD dual-core processor, 3 GB RAM on Vista Home Premium) was over-heating, badly. So far with the new settings, the computer has not over-heated, but I am only at 14% conversion, so we'll wait and see.

NOTES: I am converting an .iso image to .mp4 via DVD to Mobile --> PSP, if that's relavent.
          How long does it take with the lower memory drain?

I still don't understand why it would take that much cpu power to convert a file and then still take 3 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgewriter View Post
            How long does it take with the lower memory drain?

I still don't understand why it would take that much cpu power to convert a file and then still take 3 hours.
            Coincidentally, I never said how LONG it took me to convert; I believe the person who started this thread had mentioned it. Just making sure theirs a slight distinction between the two of us.

Now, that being said, with or with out the high memory drain, it's still almost minute for minute convert time with the play time of the movie being converted (not sure that's worded well; you know what I'm getting at, right?). Lowering the memory drain didn't seem to impact the amount of time required to convert.

I'm not too worried about how long it takes to convert. What I'm worried about is how intact my motherboard is going to be when my CPU melts because DVDFab is using it at 100% for such long times. What I can't wrap my head around is why DVDFab needs such a high percentage of my system resources... I know it's an intense process, converting, but I know so many people who do it and it doesn't burn their motherboards.

Edit (to my previous post): When the program reached about 50% on the new settings, it was overheating, just as bad as before.
            Last edited by Chris001; 10-26-2009, 10:17 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

Originally posted by Edgewriter View Post
              DVD fab takes up 700+k memory takes up 98% of my cpu power and takes 3+ hours to finish.
              I get similar results...

2 pass encode... 2500 for the bit rate...

basically a 1:1 or 1:1.5 movie time:conversion time ratio...

Running on a Core 2 Duo E6750 OC'd to ~3.0 GHz... 4 Gigs of RAM...

Comment

I have seen funny results from Fab when the PC is overclocked.

Would someone here be prepared to do a test with overclocking on and off and post the results?
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                  I have seen funny results from Fab when the PC is overclocked.

Would someone here be prepared to do a test with overclocking on and off and post the results?
                  What kind of test? I should be able to swing it...

Comment

OK... Thanks KMR

Use the same title from a hard disk folder, do it with the PC normal and then overclocked and note the comparative times for the 2 encodes and the exact profile you use.

The WMV ones seem to be the ones in question here.

GregiBoy

Comment

OK... I'll try it out... I'll see about digging out a short movie and see if I do the OC'd test soon and then the non-OC'd test overnight... Otherwise 1 test will have to wait till some point tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                        The WMV ones seem to be the ones in question here.
                        My problem was with conversion to .mp4. No one has addressed the issue of the overheating yet, though it's obviously because the CPU is running at 100% for prolonged periods. Anyone want to tell me why DVDFab requires such a high CPU usage? I think I mentioned this before, but I know lots of other people who use various programs to convert, and I don't know one of them that has issues like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris001 View Post
                          My problem was with conversion to .mp4. No one has addressed the issue of the overheating yet, though it's obviously because the CPU is running at 100% for prolonged periods. Anyone want to tell me why DVDFab requires such a high CPU usage? I think I mentioned this before, but I know lots of other people who use various programs to convert, and I don't know one of them that has issues like this.
                          Basically any video encode (regardless of profile) is going to take a good amount of CPU...

I'm not expert on the topic, but any app (dvdfab include) that had anything to do with video encoding/conversion has always used as much CPU as possible - unless there are options to throttle it...

Most laptops aren't really designed to be pegged at 90%+ CPU for extended periods of time... However...

Maybe your fan/heat sink vents are blocked with dust?
                          Maybe a cooling try would help the overheating issue and keep your performance...

Did you make changes to the default PSP profile? I just started an encode to test something out and with all defaults it looks like it's going to finish the encode in less than 10 mins...

Comment

I'm guessing now it's just because it's a laptop. Ugghh. Does DVDFab support transferring my licensed software onto a different computer (i.e. a desktop)? lol

The only changes I made to the PSP profile was to change it to the x264 video because it plays better. It requires firmware on the PSP of something like 3.x+, but I have 5.5 so it works well. It's still about 1:1 convert time, or even a little slower. Any thoughts are always appreciated.

Comment

Yeah, just download the latest version, make sure you have your key and away you go.

As has been said before, laptops are really not designed for grunt work like this.

Comment

Working...
                              X