Aspect ratios are wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aspect ratios are wrong

I originally didn't set the aspect ratios to 16:9 when converting from a DVD to ipad and now when streaming movies through my apple tv, its not covering the whole tv. I had converted about 80 movies this way before realizing and dont want to re-do all them but its really annoying watching a moving that way. Is there a way with the program to convert the mp4 files to a 16:9?

Please help

Thank you

This totally depends on how the original DVD is authored.

A DVD which has an ~ 1:2.40 aspect ratio (Widescreen) will not fill the 16:9 TV screen (1:1.78) but be "letterboxed" (black lines top & bottom).

Conversely, a DVD that is composed at 4:3 will be "pillarboxed" (black lines left & right).

I suggest that you spend some time researching this on the internet and also the term "Anamorphic" which can also be thrown into the mix.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

If you have a 1.778:1 display (most are) you have only two choices when viewing 2.40:1 widescreen content: put up with the black bars (top and bottom like Greg pointed out) or crop content off either side until you get to the point where the cropped aspect ratio is 1.78:1. DVDFab Video Converter should be able to do this for you. It has a 30-day trial (and runs much faster than starting over with the original DVD). If you actually have black bars on all four sides, check the zoom settings on the apple TV or the display.

Moving your thread to the DVD/BD Ripper/Video Converter sub-forum.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
      X