I give up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper I give up

Okay, I usually just come here search for awhile and figure out my own issues and so forth. This time I am stumped. I am trying to backup around 60 of my dvd's to my hard drive as I am a marine and will be deployed shortly. I want to be able to watch these movies that I own while deployed.

I am trying to use the dvd ripper option which I have used for my droid in the past w/ no problems. I used the dvd to wmv file which made the most sense to me at the time as I have windows media player on here. Then I couldn't get it to playback, I searched around here and put on the shark007 codec's, still no luck. Some of the .wmv files show the first frame of the movie frozen and continue on with the audio.

Then tried the zune format and installed zune software on my pc, didn't work. Tried the .avi couldn't get it to play.

Then tried downloading the vlc media player, still no luck it won't open the files. I am using version 8.0.3.5 of DVDFab currently. Any advice gang?

Hi, sweating_ice,

1. Please open Common Settings->General->A/V Codec, set video decoder as software and set video encoder as software;

2. Have you tried "Generic" option, chosen "Profile" as "generic.mp4.h264.aac" or "generic.avi.h264.audiocopy" to convert? If not, please feel free to try it out.

Sincerely Yours
    Malcolm Wang

Comment

Yeah I saw another posting suggesting to check those settings and make sure they were set to software so I tried that already.

I have not tried generic, I honestly didn't know what that would output. I will give it a try.

It was weird last night tried to convert a movie over multiple ways finally ended up getting a .avi to play in power dvd 10 which I am on a trial of now. Anyways so I did another movie the same way nothing changed, it opened up and played fine in windows media player. I don't know what to make of this....

Comment

running the generic rip right now on a main movie only, it is going to take like 3 hours!!!?? Does this seem right?

Comment

Use the DroidX wmv profile under Cellphone if you have a Droid.

If you are not going to use these on a device that requires wmv files, you will get much faster conversions if you choose a profile that uses the xvid codec. DVDFab does not use external codecs, don't put them on your machine unless you need them for something else.

If you are running these conversions on a laptop, make sure it is plugged in to AC power. For playback on a laptop, choose an output size of 6??xwhatever or smaller. The smaller it is the faster the conversion will run and it will look fine on a laptop-sized screen. Get the free VLC Media player for playback. It has a low resource footprint and does not require any external codecs.

Originally posted by sweating_ice View Post
          Okay, I usually just come here search for awhile and figure out my own issues and so forth. This time I am stumped. I am trying to backup around 60 of my dvd's to my hard drive as I am a marine and will be deployed shortly. I want to be able to watch these movies that I own while deployed.

I am trying to use the dvd ripper option which I have used for my droid in the past w/ no problems. I used the dvd to wmv file which made the most sense to me at the time as I have windows media player on here. Then I couldn't get it to playback, I searched around here and put on the shark007 codec's, still no luck. Some of the .wmv files show the first frame of the movie frozen and continue on with the audio.

Then tried the zune format and installed zune software on my pc, didn't work. Tried the .avi couldn't get it to play.

Then tried downloading the vlc media player, still no luck it won't open the files. I am using version 8.0.3.5 of DVDFab currently. Any advice gang?
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I am not going to be using these on my droid, but will be using them on a windows 7 os, will the xvid be fine running on that with the vlc player? Also which profile uses the xvid codec? I see stuff like avi and so forth but no clue which one would use that codec. Sorry I am really new at this stuff.

Comment

No problem! VLC will play the xvid files perfectly. The h264 profile that Malcolm suggested will produce very good images but the conversion will not run quite as fast. You can try it too. The xvid codec runs faster than anything else available in DVDFab. Try a 480x270 conversion using the generic.avi.xvid.mp3, with the bitrate set for around 900-1000 kb/s or so that the bits/pixel readout is between 0.2-0.3 or higher.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I did as you said signals, it outputs a mkv file, is this correct? Also the 480x270 was a custom size, as I only saw 480x260, however I set it, and made sure the bitrate was 1000. I am downloading VLC again to see if it can play the mkv file.

Comment

No, you should get an AVI file. I think you used the wrong profile. Read the boldface in my first post. 480x??? is fine, the numbers will vary some depending on the aspect ratio of the original content.

Comment

I apologize signal, currently I am back home on my windows 7 machine and have setup a movie on generic.avi.xvid.mp3 w/ the fixed bitrate of 1000 and 480x258 leaving the bits/pixel at 0.269. I guess will see how this goes.

Comment

Working...
                    X