Feedback on AI Enlarger Using the Ultra option DVD to Blu Ray

My equipment:
    Intel i7 8700K 6 cores 12 threads
    32GB DD4 RAM
    Nvidia GEForce 1080ti
    250GB SSD for Windows and source DVDs
    1TB Hard Drive for output Blu Ray images
    Samsung 40 inch 4K TV

I ran AI Enlarger in DVDFab 11.0.6.5 to copy the DVD "The Command", which was created by DVDFab, to Blu Ray. I selected the Ultra option hoping to get the best quality output possible. I started the job on 14 December 2019 at 7:30PM local (US Central) time. The job completed this morning, 16 December 2019 at 7:23 AM. It ran for 35 hours 57 minutes. The fps varied between 1.40 and 1.42 but the majority of the time it stayed at 1.41 fps. The GPU load varied constantly between 96 and 100%.

After going through all that, I really can't see any difference in the quality of the DVD compared with the resulting Blu Ray produced by AI Enlarger.

I am sure that the product will get better and better as time goes on. I believe the talent of the DVDFab development team is among the best in the world and I will wait and monitor this forum for future improvements. For now, I really can't see spending the time, effort and resources to enlarge DVDs to Blu Ray for the kind of results I am seeing. Please continue to make this product better and better.

One suggestion, if I may. You usually request users to upload the logs when someone reports an issue. Please consider changing the number and size of the logs that can be uploaded to this forum, The AI Enlarger log alone was 16.7MB after the run I described above.

Thank you for your attention.

gilcandia

Thanks for the feedback, the Enlarger logs are large and may need to be compressed before uploading. How much RAM is on your 1080 card? This has an impact on conversion speed. My 2080 runs at ~5.3 fps in normal mode, so your results are not too surprising. I have not tried Ultra yet.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hi Signals. My 1080ti has 11GB of RAM. I forgot to mention that the GPU memory utilization shown by DVDFab remained pretty constant at 9.5GB throughout the whole conversion process.

Comment

One suggestion, if I may. You usually request users to upload the logs when someone reports an issue. Please consider changing the number and size of the logs that can be uploaded to this forum, The AI Enlarger log alone was 16.7MB after the run I described above.
        The DVDFab internal feedback can catch the logs files automatically, just send us the feedback ID, a new thread about how to use it will be created later.

Thanks!

Wilson
        Please post your logs the default location is:
        For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
        For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
        If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by gilcandia View Post
          Hi Signals. My 1080ti has 11GB of RAM. I forgot to mention that the GPU memory utilization shown by DVDFab remained pretty constant at 9.5GB throughout the whole conversion process.
          That is normal. With v11.0.6.5, mine runs faster now, about 7.3 fps for the content I am testing.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hi, i've got a similar experience..
            My card is a RTX2070 and i tried to "enhance" an dvd "which start did you come from".
            So i did several things:
            1. to have a digital comparation sample i simply ripped the dvd to mkv
            2. started the enhanced ai process with High > est. time ~ 25 hrs
            3. started the enhanced ai process with ULTRA> est. time ~ 99 hrs

after some hours i stopped the proccess and tried to compare the result.
            either way i am blind now or i can't see differences on my 4k TV

since you state in your FAQ
            "
            Q: What do I do if the converted video quality is not good enough?
            A: Through machine learning (deep learning), Enlarger AI will correct and improve itself, the more video types it encounters, the better quality it can offer. So, when you encounter such kind of video quality issue, please send us a sample video for AI study.
            "
            where can i upload the 3 files for your studies?

I do have quite some movies/series i'd like to improve to best possible quality.

BR

Comment

snoopy78 Same here, i try make a dvd (640x480) to mkv.ai 1080p (1440x1080) and the result is Image quality is worse as the original DVD. i look at the Eizo Monitor. I hope Updates make AI Enlarger at future better as now. (VGA: RTX 2070)

Comment

hi, all

About the quality of result, please tell me the source (DVD) name, we will check it, and to the current EnlargeAI model, for some different case, need more learning and then improve the quality more and more, we also will add the feature for show the compare image or output compare video for check the quality first.

Thanks.

Comment

Please see my original post above. The source was the
                  DVD "The Command", which was created by DVDFab, to Blu Ray. I selected the Ultra option hoping to get the best quality output possible. When you say it needs more learning, do you mean that if we run the same conversion multiple times the AI engine will learn more and more and produce a higher quality Blu Ray? That would be great if it didn't take so long for each run.

Comment

Originally posted by gilcandia View Post
                    Please see my original post above. The source was the
                    DVD "The Command", which was created by DVDFab, to Blu Ray. I selected the Ultra option hoping to get the best quality output possible. When you say it needs more learning, do you mean that if we run the same conversion multiple times the AI engine will learn more and more and produce a higher quality Blu Ray? That would be great if it didn't take so long for each run.
                    No need converter multi time, video quality will update with new DVDFab realse and Enlarge AI update model or plugin on our server. With more movie types we trained more date in our model video quality of a kind maybe covered and quality will better.

The current bottleneck is AI chipset is new, with more GPU or CPU update with AI chipset, it will be fast.

yours,
                    Wilson
                    Last edited by Wilson.Wang; 12-27-2019, 03:04 AM.
                    Please post your logs the default location is:
                    For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                    For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                    If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Thank you for the explanation, Wilson. I have no doubt this product will get there. You guys are awesome!

Comment

just back from my vacation..,. also please see my initial post.. "which star did you come from"...it's an old K-Drama DVD.

BR

Comment

Working...
                        X