CPU vs GPU image quality with Enlarger AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab Enlarger AI for Copy CPU vs GPU image quality with Enlarger AI

When I am converting a BD to UHD with Enlarger AI, an encoded in x265 is made. So, will better image quality be obtained using the CPU?

I suppose that same answer will be valid for DVD to BD case.

Thanks

CPU produced better images in Ripper for DVD and BD sources, not sure if this is a practical choice for AI due to the time and volume of computations required
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
      CPU produced better images in Ripper for DVD and BD sources, not sure if this is a practical choice for AI due to the time and volume of computations required
      Many thanks. In my case I have an i9-10980XE (18 cores / 36 threads). It is a powerfull CPU. With it I can get from 6 to 8 FPS when enlarging BD to UHD. I normally open two instances of DVDFab Enlarger AI because with only one of it the CPU usage is aroung 85%. With two instances working in parallel the CPU usage is 100% constantly.

But, in the future I plan to buy a RTX 3090 24GB. But I am concerned about power consumption. I don't know if the power consumption / performance ratio will be better or worse than for the i9-10980xe. When this CPU is in full load with Enlarger AI it consumes around 175W sustained. And I can get 6 to 8 FPS. But the RTX 3090 consumes much more in full load. nVIDIA says around 350W, which is double that in the case of the i9-10980XE. If I could get a lot more FPS than 8, then it would be worth it. And that's not counting image quality, which I already suspected would be better for CPU than for GPU.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X