No announcement yet.

DVDFab encoding (BD50 -> BD25)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-ray Copy DVDFab encoding (BD50 -> BD25)

Hi there,
    first, a huge thanks for having made this happening: DVDFab for MacOSX!

I am wondering if there is any way for having a faster processing (BD50 -> BD25).
    I am using a MacPro 1,1 (2 x 2,66 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon) with ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB.
    I see Mac GPU acceleration for video decoding enabled message during processing, but I think big part of the processing comes from the re-encoding phase.
    With regards the re-encoding, on my mac I see no supported options but the software one.
    Is there any way to speed this up? (e.g. ATI Stream, ....). Any Plans around this?

More in general, is anybody getting GPU acceleration for video encoding?
    If so, which hardware is currently supported (maybe with CUDA)?

Thanks again

Hi Neox,
    No other video codec except for software so far.
    You can get the latest inform from the change log http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=14716.

Thanks for your support!

Comment

Hi,
      I guess now situation is different ("New: Added our own GPU accelerated OpenCL H.264 encoder"). Any update / thought on this point form the community would be more than appreciated?

Comment

I'm sure the developers would like to have feedback on this new feature also.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

HI there,
          I upgraded my system to the Mac Pro "Eight Core" 2.26 (Early 2009/Nehalem), featuring two 2.26 GHz Quad Core 45-nm Xeon E5520, 24 GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512 MB of GDDR3 memory.

The good point is that I see CUDA is enabled by default and supported both on Lion and on Win7 x64 Bootcamp (had to upgrade to latest driver tho). I will run some testing and share with you some results as soon as I have some spare time.

At the same time, I would appreciate some inputs on the below point.
          I am just not sure if selecting "Software" results in the 8 cores (16 virtuals, thanks to the Nehalem architecture) to hande decoding and rencoding and "Software + CUDA" results in the GT 120 handling decoding and rencoding or there is some more complex algorithm that puts GPU CUDA computation power on top of the CPUs one. Any thought here?

What is the expected result, in term of best option, according to Developers?

Thanks

Comment

Setting to software only results in the CPU handling all decode/encode tasks. If the GT 120 behaves in a MAC as it does in windows with DVDFab, I expect you will find that your conversions will be faster with either all software or only software+CUDA encode selected. The GT 120, and the GT 230 that I have, are really low-end cards in terms of cores and performance by today's standards. The developers may be able to give you more specific information.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

you are completely right, after some deeper testing, as a matter of fact, I can confirm I am getting faster processing when selecting software (hence forcing the CPU 8 cores doing all the job).
              I am not sure whether Software + CUDA is actually a good option, as it seems, once again, to slow down the whole processing.
              Developers, any hint here?

I am waiting a Nvidia GTX285 card, If you are interested I can share more info when I will have done some more testing.

In general terms, which is your advice here: only Software, software + CUDA (how are the tasks split?), or CUDA only?

Comment

Working...
              X