Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Answers for HD Audio Streaming Issues

Hi Guys and Gals

As per the title, I am having major HD Audio streaming problems with DVDFab Media Player when it comes to playing Bluray discs/iso/mini iso.

Dvd's play fine either from files or discs.
    ALL Bluray discs/iso/mini iso stutter too bad to be able to watch.

My PC Specs:
    Acer Revo with R3600 with Intel Atom 330 1.6Ghz CPU (Dual Core – Hyper Threaded to Quad core)
    Windows 7 32bit Home
    4Gb Ram (3Gb usable)
    500Gb SataHD
    Nvidia ION Graphics with latest graphics drivers installed.
    2xLG Blu Ray drives – via USB connection.
    Gigabit connection to LAN
    PowerDVD 12 Installed
    DVDFAB Media Player Latest Version 1.0.2.1 Installed
    Connected via HDMI to LG Smart TV (no cinema/surround sound/amplifier - just standard audio through HDMI connection)

I know my specs are not top of the range, however if I use PowerDVD12 I experience no problems with Bluray playback at all, so I know (assume) my hardware is upto the job.

What I have found is that if a Bluray has an AC3 5.1 stream then I experience smooth playback and everything is hunky dory, however anything HD Audio such as DTS, this causes a major hangup on my system and causes the video to stutter and becomes unwatchable.

As you are probably aware, not all Bluray comes with AC3 5.1 Audio available, so at present any Bluray without AC3 5.1 results in me not being able to watch it via DVDFab Media Player without going through lots of conversion processes - I just want to put in a disc and play it just like a normal BD Player.

Which means I have to use PowerDVD12 which causes me a problem when it comes to latest discs as my Bluray player is USB connection and I experience firmware related issues as I cannot update the firmware via USB. (a different issue)

The ****added**** bonus I have found with DVDFab Media player, this seems to overcome the firmware issue on latest discs (no idea how, but I love free lunches), so my preferred media player would like to be DVDFab....I just need to be able to overcome this stuttering problem that occurs with HD Audio.

As I don't experience this stuttering with PowerDVD12 (that is my benchmark), I can only assume this is a bug or maybe a setting problem within DVDFab Media Player, I have been all over the Audio settings and can get no improvement and I was wondering if anyone out there can give me some pointers in order to get this working and enable me to ditch PowerDVD12?

Sorry for the long winded post, but I try to give as much info as possible.

I would very much appreciate any assistance anyone could offer.

Regards
    Baabaa

HD audio bit-streaming simply does not work at this time. It's been mentioned in several threads, including me. One person said it worked using a laptop but it's not going to work for most people, as it is right now.

Only DVDfab can fix it and no idea when that might happen. HD bit-streaming audio was a problem for quite some time in the past, but now there are serveral options to make it work with free players and paid.

I can't say I get the stutter you mention but the video will do odd things playing blu-ray when trying to select audio settings.

Comment

I have an Acer Revo R3600 and can confirm that it can't pass HD audio bit-streams. It can only pass the core from an HD audio bit-stream.

I suspect a lot of people have computer systems that are not capable of passing full HD audio as a bit-stream, only the core. Indeed, I have the same issue with my Xtreamer Ultra 1, which I'm currently using to run DVDFab Media Player with Windows 8.

By contrast, I know my work based (Windows 7) Dell XPS 17 offers the capability of passing HD audio as a bit-stream, as I've tested it using Media Player Classic with LAV filters and my Onkyo TX-NR609 amp. I have not however tried DVDFab on my Dell laptop because I don't have XMBC installed.

Cheers
      I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
      I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

Hi All:
        Please sure that whether your auido output device (TV or power amplifier) have the ability for DTS/AC3 deocder.
        If yes, please use the passthorugh audio. In this cases please sure the settings below are right:
        1. Audio output is HDMI;
        2. Enable the setting: Dolby Digital(Ac3) capable receiver;
        3. Enable the setting: DTS capable receiver;
        4. Enable the settings: TrueHD capable receiver;
        5. Enable the settings: DTS-HD capable receiver.

If no, please then DISABLE the 2-5 settings.

Note: Before do above steps, please select the right Audio output device at the button of the Settings dialog.

We tested with in Panasonic TH-P42GT20C, everything looks good.
        I'm not sure whether we miss somgthing.

Potti

Comment

Originally posted by Potti View Post

Potti
          People still need to understand that they need the correct graphics chip and/or audio chip to pass a full HD audio bit-stream via HDMI to their surround sound amplifiers.

For example, an nVidia ION GPU can't pass HD audio as a bit-stream via HDMI. Neither can it "transcode" a multi-channel HD audio bit-stream to a multi-channel PCM stream and pass that via HDMI.

There's probably a list somewhere detailing which GPU's support HD audio bit-streaming via HDMI...

Cheers
          I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
          I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

Hi guys

Many thanks for the responses, I love this forum....you guys rock for the information you provide.....

I have to point out its not the fact that I want HD Audio Streaming, I just want to put in a bluray disc and play it.....(I did mention this but not very clearly.......sorry
            My specs are that I don't have any amplifiers connected, just an LG Smart TV via HDMI)
            PowerDVD12 did this without my need to alter any settings...DVDFab Media Player did not......

However, what has been mentioned has been invaluable information for sure.

SO firstly...@potti
            P-E-R-F-E-C-T........I removed the settings you suggested....and everything is fantastic, no stuttering and blurays are TOTALLY watchable now...I must admit, I never thought of disabling those settings.., I assumed I needed them in order to play them....So a BIG THANKYOU....I am a newbie at this and going to check out exactly what my TV can handle via HDMI)

Secondly....@SeeMoreDigital
            Excellent information, I know the REVO is not a high spec system and I think it's operating on the max of it's capabilities and have had a brief look into what you mentioned and can confirm you are correct, but for my use of it, PowerDVD12 gave me an insight in what was capable but I had no real understanding why, but and with your extra information, should I require HD Audio Streaming in the future, I will definately need to consider an upgrade.......so many THANKS for that.

Thirdly....@ROBERT |
            Thanks for your response, DVDFabs team have mentioned that this is an ongoing issue but you mentioned:
            'I can't say I get the stutter you mention but the video will do odd things playing blu-ray when trying to select audio settings.'
            Yes, you are very much correct, this is what mislead me in thinking it was a video problem....and in fact it was audio that was causing problems, thats what made me drop a post in the forum.

I have learned very much in this post and this forum and would just like to take the opportunity in THANKING everyone for assisting me....keep up the good work guys....

Regards
            Baabaa......

p.s....any chance of adding a sticky/guide for basic settings for DVDFab Media Player for low level use as a Bluray/DVD Player connected to a TV?

Comment

Originally posted by Potti View Post
              Hi All:
              Please sure that whether your auido output device (TV or power amplifier) have the ability for DTS/AC3 deocder.
              If yes, please use the passthorugh audio. In this cases please sure the settings below are right:
              1. Audio output is HDMI;
              2. Enable the setting: Dolby Digital(Ac3) capable receiver;
              3. Enable the setting: DTS-HD capable receiver;
              4. Enable the settings: TrueHD capable receiver;
              5. Enable the settings: DTS-HD capable receiver.

If no, please then DISABLE the 2-5 settings.

Note: Before do above steps, please select the right Audio output device at the button of the Settings dialog.

Potti
              This is the first post I've seen that tells what should be listed in the setting menu. Maybe its somewhere on this forum but if so I missed it. I will admit I have put some time into this player but not a lot, because I have other players that work fine. Plus I've put so much time over the years to keep a HTPC working right, it gets tiring sometimes.

Everything in my system will pass bit-streaming just fine, and I was following the progress of trying to get that way before they finally got it all together. Before that I was using a rather expensive card with analog outputs to get the HD sound.

Anyway, in every version of this player I have downloaded, there has never been a number 4--TrueHD capable receiver or 5 -- DTS-HD capable receiver. There is simply nothing listed after number 3. There is a dot, but nothing else.

I did wonder why there was a dot and nothing else but since this is a player still being worked on, and I ask in the pass what am I missing about bit-streaming, I assumed it was just something not finished.

I also asked if not being registered made a difference and was told no. So, of course if number 4 & 5 had been in the settings menu, I'd checked them. But since its blank, I ignored it.

Tonight after reading this post I did check the dots under number 3 and bit-streaming does work, at least on the two files I tried anyway. But why is there nothing there and am I suppose to read invisible text ?

Oh well, whatever, just letting you know I've put several versions on and none of them have text after DTS-HD capable receiver. Nice that it probably works now, but a very strange setup menu.

Comment

Well my setup works with #1 and #2 set, if I set #3 then I get stutter and no sound, so this supports what Potti and SeeMoreDigital have mentioned.
                It also highlights the capability of my TV's audio via HDMI.(AC3 Decoder only)

I noticed in earlier versions that the #4 and #5 had no labels too but these returned in the newer versions.
                Are you on the latest 1.0.2.1 version?

I don't think its anything to do with if your registered or not, they treat all visitors the same.
                This is only my second thread here, my last was 18 months ago....but you always get the answers and usually learn lots of extra information along the way which enables you to assist others too.

Like with anything, if there's lots of settings, that means lots of scenarios and couple it with the fact that everyone has different hardware....well you get the picture...easier to pick the winning lotto numbers....

Some settings could be made a little more clearer but as the software is still being developed, the feedback/pool of knowledge throughout the forums highlight areas for the developers to look into.....

Like you, my REVO is acting as a simple HTPC, twin tuner using crappy media centre and a bluray/dvd player with DVDFab Media Player it now functions as required......

Regards
                Baabaa....

Comment

Originally posted by robert l View Post
                  Tonight after reading this post I did check the dots under number 3 and bit-streaming does work, at least on the two files I tried anyway. But why is there nothing there and am I suppose to read invisible text ?

Oh well, whatever, just letting you know I've put several versions on and none of them have text after DTS-HD capable receiver. Nice that it probably works now, but a very strange setup menu.
                  Sounds as the translation file for your language is not complete.

In the folder

C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab Media Player\language

or

C:\Program Files\DVDFab Media Player\language

There is a folder for each language. In this folder there is a file named strings.xml - might be that this file do not include these rows.

Code:
                    <string id="36118">- TrueHD capable receiver</string>

<string id="36119">- DTS-HD capable receiver</string>
                  If it's not included, just edit the file in NotePad or a similar basic text editor.
                  Last edited by Gummigutta; 09-08-2012, 12:14 PM.

Comment

This thread has many good answers about this issue and is now a sticky. Thanks to Potti, SeeMoreDigital, Gummigutta and all that have contributed.
                    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

The following GPU information might prove useful to some people with HD audio bit-streaming questions and issues: -

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/b...mats-your-htpc.

Also, here's a copy and paste from Cyberlink's web site listing supporting audio chip-sets: -

Cheers all

Comment

Okay all... In order to test whether or not HD audio bit-streaming actually works with DVDFab Media Player, I decided to order a dedicated 64GB SSD drive for my Dell laptop and give it a test with the Release Preview of Windows 8 64-bit.

Anyway, long story short. Here are my findings: -

Video with 5.1Ch DTS-HD HR (in .MKV and M2TS) - Works perfectly and is correctly mapped
                        Video with 7.1Ch DTS-HD HR (in .MKV and M2TS) - Works perfectly and is correctly mapped

Video with 5.1Ch DTS-HD MA (in .MKV and M2TS) - Works perfectly and is correctly mapped
                        Video with 7.1Ch DTS-HD HR (in .MKV and M2TS) - Works perfectly and is correctly mapped

Video with 5.1Ch Dolby TrueHD (in .MKV and M2TS) - Works perfectly and is correctly mapped
                        Video with 7.1Ch Dolby TrueHD (in .MKV and M2TS) - Works perfectly and is correctly mapped

I also tested the following: -

Video with 5.1Ch Dolby Digital Plus (in .MKV and M2TS) - Passes a 2Ch PCM stream only
                        Video with 7.1Ch Dolby Digital Plus (in .MKV and M2TS) - Passes a 2Ch PCM stream only.

I will carry out some more tests with .ISO files and report back... But so far so good

Cheers all
                        Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 09-11-2012, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Bit Streaming Works

The setup advice given elsewhere is correct.
                          By default my HD audio was converting to multichannel PCM.
                          The Audio setup menu is not helpful in that it does not have rows for DTS Master and Dolby HD as the previous player did.
                          But there are two rows under the AC3 and DTS rows with blue buttons. Set these (bright blue) and HD bit streaming will work.
                          It seems the text on these two menu rows got mislaid in this version.
                          Please note also these audio settings should be made when a HD audio (blueray movie) is playing.

Comment

Working...
                          X