Renewal Notice? Or Phishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renewal Notice? Or Phishing?

I recently received a renewal notice from Avangate for Media Player in my email. It says that I need to complete the renewal by entering in my credit card information. I received this

in an email.

Now, maybe this is legitimate, and maybe it is a phishing attempt. It looks legit, with the URL's resolving correctly, but then again, this came from a completely unsolicited and unexpected email.

I went to the DVDFab website and tried to renew there. I was told I had no products that I could renew. Huh???

So, is the email likely to be legitimate? Or is it likely a phishing attempt?

If it is legit, then it is, to be blunt, stupid. It looks, smells, and feels like a phishing attempt, even if it isn't. We should be able to renew online. We should not ever need to click on an unsolicited and unexpected email link to provide our credit card information. As in never ever ever.

If it is a phishing attempt, then an email should be sent to customers alerting them to be aware of this.

So, again, is the email likely to be legitimate? Or is it likely a phishing attempt?

I have no idea if this is really from Avangate, but I think everyone would be wise to renew only on the DVDFab website, from within your Member account. We can learn more when the office opens in about 24 hours.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

It appears the notice was legit, but I still think your points are well taken. They are going to work on improving the email notice, but you can always renew or purchase safely and securely on the DVDFab website. Just think of the email as a reminder notice.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
        It appears the notice was legit, but I still think your points are well taken. They are going to work on improving the email notice, but you can always renew or purchase safely and securely on the DVDFab website. Just think of the email as a reminder notice.
        Thanks Signals! Another quick (I hope) question:
        As mentioned, I tried to renew on the website, but was told I had not products to renew. My Media Player subscription is due to be renewed this month. Do you know how to renew the subscription?

Thanks again!

Comment

You're welcome, I'm glad you posted about this. Your Player license should show as renewable if you used the same email address to purchase it that you did for the other Fab products. If it is not listed with your other licenses in the Member center or won't let you renew, you should contact the Service team via email, they will need to know the email address you used to purchase the product. I will send them a link to this thread also.

Comment

Sent Message...

Thanks for the information, Signals! Per your advice, I have sent support an email.

My Media Player expires on Jul 9 (DVDFab Media Player 2013-07-09), but the Renewals section doesn't let me renew it.

I will post here what support tells me to do.

Comment

"Please Wait"

OK - I got a reply:
              DVDFab Team Mon, 6/24/2013 10:00:55 pm
              Hello Jonathan Fischer. Welcome to DVDFab chat. May I help you?

Jonathan Fischer Mon, 6/24/2013 10:01:41 pm
              I am a registered Media Player user, and I need to renew, as it expires on July 9. But, when I click on Renewals, I am told that I have no software that is renewable.
              So, how do I renew?

DVDFab Team Mon, 6/24/2013 10:02:33 pm
              wait a moment, I'll have to check your order info first

Jonathan Fischer Mon, 6/24/2013 10:02:56 pm
              OK.

DVDFab Team Mon, 6/24/2013 10:09:06 pm
              We will add the option for renewal Media Player as soon as possible

Jonathan Fischer Mon, 6/24/2013 10:09:34 pm
              OK. What do I do when it expires?

DVDFab Team Mon, 6/24/2013 10:09:40 pm
              Our team member are working on this now, Sorry for any inconvenience

Jonathan Fischer Mon, 6/24/2013 10:10:08 pm
              OK.

DVDFab Team Mon, 6/24/2013 10:10:54 pm
              When it expires, you go to the member center at http://www.dvdfab.com/member.htm , click on Renew product to process the renewal, it will be the same as you do currently.

Comment

fisch

The Player renewal problem on the website has been corrected, please try it again.

Comment

There is now also some info about Avangate in the products info on the DVDFab webpages.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                    fisch

The Player renewal problem on the website has been corrected, please try it again.
                    I was able to successfully renew. Thank you!

Comment

Player

When I bought this beta product a year ago I had no idea nor did i see any indications of a subscription type purchase. Maybe I didn't pay attention to what I was purchasing or it was in small print but i sure didn't notice any warning to a subscription. I still believe this product to be beta and still has many bugs. I don't see any reason why i should pay you to go thru the frustration of being a beta tester. At the time I though that 40+ dollars was a steep price but i would buy it and let it sit until the bugs were corrected. I guess i wont be around to see all the bugs fix on this software. As Iv did with adobe subscription products and Autodesk subscription products I will bail out while the going is beta. 40+ dollars is not a big amount of money, neither is 10 dollars a year for a product that works but for a beta product full of bugs and the few times that i decide to try to use i have to go thru the licensing hassle over and over it becomes a lot of money.

Any way i hope that you are successful in improving this product. I will make sure to pass on that what we buy with 40+ dollar is an annual subscription to beta software that may or may not work at this particular time.

Comment

Don't be an oaf. It is not a beta and costs less than half what Acronis gets for TMT (which now has Cinavia). There will be a new version of Fab Player out soon, please try it. Don't hijack the threads of others, your posts will be deleted without notice in the future.

Comment

Avangate and not renewing...

I looked for the Avangate info on the products page, but couldn't find it. A link would be helpful.

I've decided not to renew but it has nothing to do with the player. I only used it three times in the last year and that doesn't justify the expenditure. Other than that, it's a good product.

Regarding Avangate, be advised that if you used a credit card, your purchase is by default set to auto-renew. If you are up for renewal and do not want to renew, you'll have to log into Avangate and set the switch to off.

-Toonces...

Comment

Working...
                          X