Virus Alert on Application Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virus Alert on Application Run

I installed the beta, and attempted to run the application. Avira popped up a warning stating that it had detected TR/PWS.Sinowal.gen. It then blocked the application.

Any ideas on this?

Virus Information

This is what Avira repors on the virus. It's been around for a while.

http://www.avira.com/en/support-thre.../3629/tlang/en

Virus: TR/PWS.Sinowal.Gen
    Date discovered: 16/05/2007
    Type: Trojan
    In the wild: Yes
    Reported Infections: Low
    Distribution Potential: Low
    Damage Potential: Low
    Static file: No
    Engine version: 7.04.00.23

General Side effects:
    • Steals information

I am going to attempt to report it to Avira as a false-positive, but thought I would pass this on.

Comment

I also have Avira and got the same thing. I think it's a false positive. Malwarebytes scan of the installed files said all clear and Player runs OK, no other problems. I have reported it. The dll that Avira found won't be in the next release. I have turned off Realtime protection in Avira.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks Signals!

Comment

Quick Update

I updated Avira, and then tested running the install again. This time it went through with no issues. Whatever the program was seeing, Avira seems to have fixed the issue.

So, the false positive has gone away! Yay!

Comment

Hi fisch, thanks for the update. It is clear here also. This is becoming more common with Avira, may have to look for something else.

Slightly off-topic warninng: Avira has some sort of marketing ploy disguised as an "Update", be wary of this: it will change your default homepage and search engine if installed. I just spent an hour on the phone with my father cleaning it off his laptop.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
            X