Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can play blu rays, not DVD's

Hi all,
    I have four three movies: From up on poppy hill, Howls moving castle, spirited away. The first two are blu ray/dvd combos; the last is a dvd. All are region 1 disney films. My version of media player is 2.4.4.1. I use windows 8.
    I am able to play these blu rays, but I can't play any of the dvd's. I have tried both simple and menu modes, but neither work. I have contacted technical support, but they couldn't help. They said it would be transferred to another department and I would be informed if it was fixed. I tried downloading the free trial of the dvdfab converter, but I couldn't convert the VOB files on the DVD for some reason. I'm not sure what to do now, and am a little disappointed with the product. It plays the blu rays perfectly, so I am confused as to why it can't do the same for the dvd's. Here's the info for the movies.

full title: Spirited Away
    b) region code: 1
    c) country: America
    d) release date: September 20, 2002
    e) UPC code: 78693621384
    a) full title: From up on poppy hill
    c) country: America
    d) release date: march 15 2013
    e) UPC code76768529418
    a) full title: Howl’s Moving castle
    c) country: america
    d) release date: june 10 2005
    e) UPC code 78693683340

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

P.S. All these dvd's work on my xbox.
    Attached Files

Continuing problem

The support team contacted me and advised me to change my video acceleration to software. I tried this solution, but the same problem persists. To clarify the problem, when I play the disc in DVDfab, the disc runs and the timeline appears on the player indicating the total time of the movie. The screen is black and the movie will not play.

Comment

See if the discs will play if you select "Simple Mode" in settings. I have a few DVDs that will not play, but they are all new, not old ones. It seems to be a problem with the error trapping on certain content. It does not show up in the log for me.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

So... Are you spinning/playing actual 'store-bought' DVD's via your computers disc drive?

If so, there might be a fault with the drives DVD laser pick-up!
        Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 11-25-2014, 08:14 PM.
        I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
        I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
          So... Are you spinning/playing actual 'store-bought' DVD's via your computers disc drive?

If so, there might be a fault with the drives DVD laser pick-up!
          That's a good idea! I never thought of that. My blu ray drive is able to play other dvds, like Read or Die. Would that rule out the idea of the drives dvd laser pick up being broken. Do you know of any way to test this? Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X