Play .mid or .midi file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play .mid or .midi file

I have DVDFab Player 5 version 5.0.2.0 (the last giveaway version) & DVDFab Media Player (Pro) version 3.1.0.2 (also a licensed giveaway.
    Neither will play a .mid or .midi file.
    They will play other audio files like.wav or .mp3 .
    Is there a way to get DVDFab Media players to play .mid or .midi files?

Originally posted by cholla View Post
    I have DVDFab Player 5 version 5.0.2.0 (the last giveaway version) & DVDFab Media Player (Pro) version 3.1.0.2 (also a licensed giveaway.
    We will take it into consideration, will need to do some research first.

Comment

Not sure if you are aware or not, but midi files are not actual audio files themselves and require a synthesizer (either hardware or software) to play since they only contain instructions to the synthesizer on how to play a given note or notes (i.e., channel, instrument, length, velocity, etc.). Windows has a built-in GM wave table synthesizer (although it is VERY basic). The quality of sound will depend on the quality of synthesizer, and can greatly vary between synthesizers. There is a third party plugin that is very good called Coolsoft (google it) that rivals hardware synthesizers, and best of all, its free. BUT … the player would still have to pass it off to the synthesizer. Also, to play high quality midi files with a software synthesizer is very dependent on hardware in your PC (i.e. CPU, RAM). On the other hand, hardware synthesizers (e.g. Roland, Yamaha, etc.) have their own processors and RAM and good ones can run as high as a high end video card or even higher.
      Last edited by LaciBacsi; 08-07-2019, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Just one more thing, there are tools that can convert midi files to .mp3 or .wav, but all they do is capture the audio played through your synthesizer and save it in an actual audio format that could then be played by the player, such as .wav or .mp3. Of course, the quality of the resulting audio files will depend on quality of your synthesizer.

Comment

Thank you Mona & LaciBacsi .

LaciBacs I knew the information you posted but it doesn't hurt to post it for those that don't know.

The software you posted works by using a sf2 file & possibly some others as well.
          A VST is also sometimes used.
          I just thought DVDFab Media Player should be able to play mid & midi.
          It should have been able to use what WMP uses.
          Which is Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth AKA MIDI Parser & MIDI Renderer,
          Also the quartz.dll & wdmauddrv .
          Those are the Windows Microsoft files & program for doing this.
          I'm not into .mid & .midi enough to have a hardware synthesizer.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21618.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	370955 I also have the full version of Fab media player pro version 3 as a lifetime gift from Fab. It looks like in file associations that mid and midi are listed in the audio settings after you click on the plus sign for audio associations as it is listed and can be check marked but doesn't play in the lifetime gift full version.of media player 3
            This version also has a bad bug in that whenever you restart the computer the settings get erased for HDMI it doesn't even list HDMI until you put your receiver on and even then it 's hard to get it to see you have HDMI as the setting shows no HDMI settings until you try to play something then under settings you will see HDMI back again as a setting you can make.

Being this is a lifetime gift maybe the developers can fix this so it retains the last setting used like HDMI even after a computer restart as this is a bad bug..I understand the version 3 pro is replaced by version 5 but this is a lifetime gift so should be fixed when time permits and would be real nice if it can play midi's like most of the free players.
            Thanks.
            Last edited by novrain; 08-07-2019, 07:29 PM.

Comment

novrain Follow these tips for using images: https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/dvdfab...in-forum-posts then no clicks are needed!
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Ok great Signals thanks for editing it for me.

Comment

DVDFab Media Player (Pro) version 3.1.0.2 also has .mid & .midi with other audio in the "Open Files" drop down.
                  That is an indication that DVDFab Media Player (Pro) version 3.1.0.2 is supposed to be able to play these files.
                  If there is a fix: How would it be applied to an older version like this one ?

Comment

All,
                    Note that Player v3 is no longer supported. If a fix is applied, it will appear in v5, not v3.
                    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

My license info for DVDFab Media Player (Pro) version 3.1.0.2 says in Basic Features & Advanced Features "Never Expire".
                      My definition of "Never Expires" means always supported.
                      I've never bought various software companies definition of "Lifetime" as lifetime of the software.
                      To me it means my lifetime.

What I ask about is something that DVDFab Media Player (Pro) version 3.1.0.2 was supposed to be able to do from the time it was acquired.
                      So it should not need a "fix".
                      The dropdown shows that it is supposed to play .mid & .midi files.

The HDMI problem is not my problem & is off topic.

For DVDFab Player 5 only under (*) shows .mid files in Windows Explorer ,
                      This may not mean it is supposed to play .mid files.
                      It should have been coded to at least use the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth .
                      DVDFab Player 5 is supposed to be used in Windows. or my version is.

Comment

My license info for DVDFab Media Player (Pro) version 3.1.0.2 says in Basic Features & Advanced Features "Never Expire".
                        My definition of "Never Expires" means always supported.
                        I've never bought various software companies definition of "Lifetime" as lifetime of the software.
                        To me it means my lifetime.
                        Incorrect. V2 will not be updated, v3 will not be updated. The license is not terminated, it will still play anything it would when you got it for free. This thread has about run its course as far as the same complaint over and over. Hopefully Mona will have some feedback for those with v5.

Comment

Working...
                        X