Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Player Won't Play Movies (BlueRay or 4K) - New Mutants (2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Player Won't Play Movies (BlueRay or 4K) - New Mutants (2020)

I just installed the DVDFab Player (bought universal license) - and tried to play a 4K movie on a External UHD drive (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) Archgon Premium Aluminum External USB 3.0 UHD 4K Blu-Ray Writer Super Drive for PC and Mac

I put the movie in - and start the player - then the following shows. Note that it recognizes that movie in the drive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	UHD_AfterLoad.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	388249

Then the movie starts - and it spends a few moments spinning - then the following menu shows up - and I cannot get beyond this. I have no way to start the movie.
    I have tried clicking on the language. I have tried pausing and restarting - but nothing works.

Any thoughts as to what is happening?? The same thing happens with a regular Blue Ray version of this movie as well..

Click image for larger version

Name:	UHD_StartedThenFreezeHere.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	388251

Attached Files

Hello, please zip the entire log folder of Player 6 and send it to us, thank you.

Comment

As requested - here are the two folders - Zipped.

One seems to be just installation log - and the other is the full log files.

What else can I provide?

I have a Dell Precision laptop - Xeon processor, 32 GB of memory and lots of disk space. Windows 10

Attached Files

Comment

Ok - an update...

1. Tried the 4K disc with the Archgon - and it fails to even read the disk.

The movie comes with both a 4K and a regular BlueRay version - so I tried a few things with the BlueRay disc.

1. Tried the BlueRay disc and it fails to even read the disk.
        2. Tried it with a Buffalo external drive - which I have been using for years - and it fails to read the disk.

3. I then tried it on the BlueRay player attached to my TV (Samsung) - and it worked just fine. Now - I did NOT try the 4K disc - as I do not have a 4K player attached to my TV.

So - this tells me that the discs are most likely not bad - but that there may be something stopping the external computer drives from reading the discs. It is funny that both drives which should read a blueray disc with no issues - cannot read this movie blueray at all. I get there might be some issues with the 4K disc - but there should be no issues with the Blue Ray disk.

Any thoughts as to what other tests I can perform to trouble shoot this issues? I want to play the 4K movie on my laptop. It has a very high res screen - and this is my first 4K movie - so I figured I might have some issues- but I did not think I would have issues with the BlueRay disc.

Bradley

Comment

What firmware version is on your drive? I note that other owners of this drive have had similar problems, see the Amazon reviews. From what you report, the discs seem to be fine but appear to have unsupported copy protection. Never heard of this drive brand. If the drive will not load the disc and display the contents in Windows Explorer, it is a problem with the drive or its firmware.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
            What firmware version is on your drive? I note that other owners of this drive have had similar problems, see the Amazon reviews. From what you report, the discs seem to be fine but appear to have unsupported copy protection. Never heard of this drive brand. If the drive will not load the disc and display the contents in Windows Explorer, it is a problem with the drive or its firmware.
            that drive is a BU40N inside

Comment

Thanks Steve
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hello

Sorry for the late reply - been away from my computer for a few days over the holidays.

Ok - In terms of firmware - it is version 1.01 - see the screen captures attached.

The Archgon drive is recommended by DVDFab themselves - and is noted as working with your Drive Tool (marked as tested in the list at the bottom)

DVDFab UHD Drive Tool allows users to downgrade the unfriendly firmware on a UHD drive to make it ready for UHD Blu-ray backup.

An interesting turn of events - I have been testing the drive to see if it would play other BlueRay discs - and it does. Both the Buffalo and the Archgon drive will play another BlueRay (Immitation Game). However, neither of the drives will play the New Mutants blue ray or 4k discs.
                These drives are not modified or downgraded - they are as they were purchased... I would expect them to play any BlueRay (or 4K) discs... I do not see why they would not.

Thoughts?

Bradley MacDonald

Attached Files

Comment

you need to downgrade the firmware to play 4k disks unofficially with dvdfab player unless you meet the powerdvd uhd requirments and most people dont
                  Last edited by steavedaguru; 01-05-2021, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Steavedaguru - so - DVDFab Player will not play a 4K disc without downgrade?? Then what is the point of having 4K drives? I understand I would need to downgrade if I was planning on Ripping movies, etc. - but just to play them on my computer??

As well - I had the same issues with the plain (Non-4K) blue ray discs that shipped with the movie... This may (?) not be drive related? But I am not sure.

And the laptop I have is as beefy as they come (Xeon processor, 32 GB of memory, and a Radeon (TM) Pro WX 7100 Graphics card (8GB) (3840x2160). So - it should display 4K movies.

Perhaps I should look at getting the Cyberlink player???

Comment

You need to downgrade the firmware in the drive not the drive itself. With the correct firmware Fab Player will play the 4k discs SDR mode regardless of screen type. Unless the screen in the laptop is designed for HDR content, even PowerDVD will reject playback.

Comment

Admin - Ok - I can do that - but what about the regular Blue Ray disc (not 4K) that also ships with the 4K disc? It will not play in the drive either. Or for that matter the Buffalo drive either - which has never had an issue with a regular blueray movie...

Comment

A quick way to test is to load the disc in the drive with DVDFab shut down. You should be able to see it in Windows My(This) Computer and see the contents of the disc by right clicking and selecting Open from the context menu. If this fails, you may have conflicting software on your pc or a problem with the drive. You can look for some conflicts using the Filter Driver Load Order Tool in ImgBurn, the famous and free burning utility.

Comment

Working...
                          X